Fox coming around at night

StacyT

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2022
Catheys Valley, CA
I caught a fox on my game cam several nights/mornings in a row coming around my coop/run area. So far it hasn’t been succesful in getting into either. I can see evidence where it’s tried. I’d like to stop it from coming around. I was thinking about getting a pyreenes pup but that’ll take some time to train. I’m going to look at a pup in a couple days as soon as time allows. Is there any suggestions in the mean time? I live on 5 acres as do all my neighbors & suspect it lives within a short distance as it’s around almost daily now. I put up motion sensor lights on the coop’s that didn’t seem to help. We also started marking the trails it uses having the males urinate on the trails daily that didn’t seem to have any effect. I ordered some more motion sensor lights to put on the trails it’s using to see if that might do the trick those will be here Friday. I go out 3-4 times a night with a flashlight and patrol the area. I even have “foxlights” that blink different colors & white about it’s eye level that doesn’t seem to bother it. We can’t use any kind of bird bombs in this area due to fire risks. I plan on trying to cut down the brush as best as I can but it’s hilly/rocky terrain & several acres so not the easiest especially with my health.

Everything is well secured but I’d rather not have him on my property. I have a chain link fence around my run with goat wire fencing wrapped around that & HWC apron. 1 coop is in the run the other is attached. The attached coop is pretty solid wood with multiple latches (going to add even more today) & the other coop in the run has multiple latches plus everything is secured with carbineers. We are at home most day’s so he probably comes around at night. I don’t let my chicks free range to many predators to worry about.

Putting up several hot wires around your setup is the easiest thing to do. And they will deter all ground predators if installed correctly.
And you don't have to feed or train the fence. Well, okay, you do have to feed it electricity. But that's easy.

I didn’t want hot wire fence so I put a Halloween inflatable with red shining eyes out front and I’m sure that’ll scare them away lol. I have a half Pyrenees and she’s good, but very loud and high maintenance. She also tries to catch the chickens

I’ve been looking at an elefence. That might be an option. I do have some motion activated halloween decorations that might do the trick, I’ll dig them out today and set them up lol Hadn’t thought about that lol

If the chickens are in a well made coop with straight sides, then I think you could get by with a single perimeter hotwire about 6" above ground and about 4" from outside of walls. That should tickle diggers when they are trying to dig.

Back
Top Bottom