fox deterents

jayschooks

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
london UK
hi there i have two corder ranger birds one white star for 3 weeks now and just got first egg fromstar but we have a large cemetey behind our garden fox has visited during the night once already i have secured coop completely will foxes attack during the day as i have two small children in the garden any ideas thanks

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
A fox will definitely attack during the day. I haven't heard of a fox being human aggressive.
Your best bet is either buried fence or electric fence around your coop. Fox will dig to china if it means getting a meal and it isn't a huge hassle for them to dig under a coop. I've heard of a lot of people using electric fencing and it keeps predators away and if you don't want to use that, the next best thing would be burying fencing, not chicken wire, under the run(if you have one) and under the coop.
Another way you can bury fencing is going out the opposite way, like a skirt, but still buried, if that makes sense.

sbhkma

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Texas-Just a little bit South of Weird
I am really happy I put electric wire around my coop. I have 1/2" hardware cloth on the run and the coop is above the run. All doors have locks and I have an electric fence set up on 4" extender posts on each corner about 2" off the ground. I figured this way anything that was thinking about getting to the fence or digging under it was going to hit the wire first and get zapped. I use a solar fencer that's for a 3 mile fence so it's a pretty serious charge when it's run over just 20 feet (I have a 6 X 8 run addition for daytime and they're also free range most of the day).
There IS one thing I hadn't thought about with this though... the other night a skunk thought it would be mighty fine to sneak in and get himself a midnight pullet snack. He hit that fence..... and sprayed.
barnie.gif

The whole backyard smelled so bad I thought I was going to throw up. Next morning I was hoping the birds and the chicken coop didn't reek too bad. Luckily, they were fine. I bet that skunk won't come back either! I would guess it would be effective for foxes too.

Top Bottom