Fox down ..... WARNING : Graphic content

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
I live in a very rural, heavily wooded 11 acre lot at the end of a 3/4 mile gravel road. The closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away.

A couple of months ago I lost 2 birds to this fox and his mate. I also lost one at the end of last year, I suspect to the same pair.

I relegated the chooks to their 1/2 acre, fenced pen, with very limited, semi supervised free range time at the end of each day. The canines continued to terrorize the flock, and were frequently run off by the dogs. One shotgun was staged by the back door, another in my farm vehicle in the driveway.

Yesterday, while doing garden chores, I heard the unmistakable sounds of attack, and rushed toward the coop area, where the cries of distress were coming from. One fox continued to pursue the scattering birds, while the other disappeared into the thick brush.

The male pressed on, after the scattering chooks, paying little attention to me or my screams and waving arms. He literally gave me the middle finger :tongue as he trotted casually across the gravel driveway, barely glancing at me, with his attention focused on
the chicken dinner just in front of him.

I advanced toward the 12 gauge in the back of my farm truck, as he disappeared around the barn in hot pursuit. as I lost sight of him, the female reappeared in the driveway, just as I racked a round of 00 buck shot into the scattergun. As I took aim at the female, she once again vanished into the woods, affording no clear shot. She was gone !!!

Dammit !!!!!

Meanwhile, the dogs picked up either on the scent of the male, or the cries of the birds, and started to chase him back around the barn, causing him to abandon the chickens, and circle back to the driveway where fortunately, I was standing with the shotty, shouldered, and cocked and locked.

He passed through the yard at about 90 feet, just on the outer limits of the 00 buck, then onto the driveway and stopped and looked at me, then looked around one last time for a stray chicken.

Big mistake !!!

The shotgun thundered, and 3 of the 9, .32 caliber balls found their mark, and Mr. fox crumpled in the driveway like a bag of hammers !

Yay !!! :wee One down, one to go .....

Unfortunately, my camera is on it's last leg, and didn't get any quality pictures, but got a couple of "good enough" pics of the offending beast. He weighed in at just under 30 pounds. Due to the time of day, the scraggly mange of his summer coat, and the near 90 degree temps, no skinning was done.

No chickens were injured in this attack.

One last chance to not look .....

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Tarasita inspecting the carcass .....

P6100073 (2).JPG

I live in a very rural, heavily wooded 11 acre lot at the end of a 3/4 mile gravel road. The closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away.

A couple of months ago I lost 2 birds to this fox and his mate. I also lost one at the end of last year, I suspect to the same pair.

I relegated the chooks to their 1/2 acre, fenced pen, with very limited, semi supervised free range time at the end of each day. The canines continued to terrorize the flock, and were frequently run off by the dogs. One shotgun was staged by the back door, another in my farm vehicle in the driveway.

Yesterday, while doing garden chores, I heard the unmistakable sounds of attack, and rushed toward the coop area, where the cries of distress were coming from. One fox continued to pursue the scattering birds, while the other disappeared into the thick brush.

The male pressed on, after the scattering chooks, paying little attention to me or my screams and waving arms. He literally gave me the middle finger :tongue as he trotted casually across the gravel driveway, barely glancing at me, with his attention focused on

I advanced toward the 12 gauge in the back of my farm truck, as he disappeared around the barn in hot pursuit. as I lost sight of him, the female reappeared in the driveway, just as I racked a round of 00 buck shot into the scattergun. As I took aim at the female, she once again vanished into the woods, affording no clear shot. She was gone !!!

Dammit !!!!!

Meanwhile, the dogs picked up either on the scent of the male, or the cries of the birds, and started to chase him back around the barn, causing him to abandon the chickens, and circle back to the driveway where fortunately, I was standing with the shotty, shouldered, and cocked and locked.

He passed through the yard at about 90 feet, just on the outer limits of the 00 buck, then onto the driveway and stopped and looked at me, then looked around one last time for a stray chicken.

Big mistake !!!

The shotgun thundered, and 3 of the 9, .32 caliber balls found their mark, and Mr. fox crumpled in the driveway like a bag of hammers !

Unfortunately, my camera is on it's last leg, and didn't get any quality pictures, but got a couple of "good enough" pics of the offending beast. He weighed in at just under 30 pounds. Due to the time of day, the scraggly mange of his summer coat, and the near 90 degree temps, no skinning was done.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

View attachment 2713781
That chicken looks happy like she shot him herself!

Dammit !!!!!

Big mistake !!!

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

View attachment 2713781
Great job! I know first hand how hard they to shoot.

I hope you were legally allowed to shoot him. I get defending your flock but i issue death sentences only as a last resort.
I too live in rural America with a diverse population of predators. I free range my flock (no fences at all only a safe coop at night) yet rarely lose a bird. Not saying what you did was wrong or that i would even do anything different just that I try to exhaust all other deterrents available prior to death if possible.

Foxes are probably the most notorious chicken thieves and sometimes the elimation of one is the only solution. But I hope you are confident you were within your right to do so before announcing it to the world. Killing a game animal or fur bearer out of season can be illegal despite it being in defense of your birds. If so, congrats on defending your flock and doing it cleanly.
I had an issue a few years ago and spoke to a wildlife officer and he told me I could shoot if they were harming my livestock and my birds are livestock. He also mentioned they were not endangered. I have see others since.

Back
Top Bottom