Fox encounter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luckyclucky, Jan 22, 2015.

1. luckyclucky

luckyclucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Iowa
    A couple days ago our 10 chickens were free roaming. A fox that we haven't ever had problems with before fatally attacked one chicken and injured another. The injured chicken is a little white americana. It is a hen. We caught the fox with the white chicken in its mouth. We have since separated the chicken and have him inside in a warm room. The chicken had bleeding from a tiny puncture in his skin just underneath the right side of his wing. The bleeding stopped after day 1. The chicken was initially not hungry, but since has had a cup of water and food over 3 days. Today, the area underneath appears bruised. The chicken sneezed and it appeared that a lot of saliva came out. It appeared thin and clear. When having the chicken upside down it seemed that the saliva just fell from his mouth. We tried to keep the exam quick but we have never experienced this. Is this normal? What other steps should we be taking? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Every thing sounds like it's okay. :)

A chicken held upside down can end up "dribbling" water and other contents from its crop. Unless it has a foul smell, is anything but clear, or the chicken has trouble breathing after being set upright, you have nothing to worry about.

Just keep the wound clean and treat with antibiotic ointment ***without painkiller*** for a few days.

Sorry about your fox attack. :( I hope it's the only one!

MrsB

3. luckyclucky

Apr 3, 2014
    Iowa
    Our chicken seems to be doing quite well. But we have been beginning to notice rather greenish colored poop. Could this be a sign of internal bleeding?

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Can you take a picture?

Neon green poops can be a sign of malnutrition. Internal injuries would mean passing blood and I doubt he would be "doing quite well." I doubt it's anything like that. How deep is the wound?

I'm worried he's stressed and not eating. Try offering boiled or scrambled eggs. If he gobbles them up, offer them alongside his regular food.

It won't let me tag for some reason, but Casportpony can provide tube feeding amounts (cc's) per pound for your bird... in case he's off his food and water. You can PM her.

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  5. luckyclucky

Apr 3, 2014
    Iowa
    Maybe it was just lighting. The chicken is doing very well. Has drank about 8oz in the past couple days along with around 1 cup of food. Much more active and no longer wobbly. When can we move her back out?

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    It's really up to you when you put her back outside. If you feel confident that she is 100% better, by all means, please put her back with the flock. :) If you have any hesitation whatsoever, keep her inside. You know what's best for your chicken!

Keep in mind that they will re-establish a pecking order, so some bickering is to be expected.

I'm glad she is better. Keep us updated!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by