Fox? Feeling defeated

Shawn's_momma

Chirping
May 16, 2017
Hi,

We lost our whole flock of pullets. We had two Easter Egger (got our very first egg yesterday), a Delaware, Swedish Flower, and a Welsummer. We are first time chicken owners and finally we got an egg then BAM. My 3 year old is so sad. 3 were mangled and 2 vanished. I want to take a couple days to reinforce the top of the run. It's surround by hardware cloth within a chain link fence over a concrete slab but the top of the run was plain chicken wire. I want to recover with corrugated plastic. Any birds for sale or tips would be great

What could get over a 6ft fence enclosure?

I feel defeated and don't think I have it in me to start from scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 16
Could be a Bobcat, those things can JUMP!! I had chickens vanish from their coop with a run that has 6ft fence. Just make sure the plastic is very thick, so that if it shows up again, it can't get threw, sorry about your hens. :hugs

I'm so sorry! Almost any predator can climb! I'm not sure where you live. Racoon or fox. I would cover the top with hardware cloth too! Raccoons are sneaky and smart. Take a look around for you missing girls, After I had an attack on my run a few weeks back, some of my girls came running when I called and I found one of them after 2 days, she was living in the woods across the road.

Hi,

We lost our whole flock of pullets. We had two Easter Egger (got our very first egg yesterday), a Delaware, Swedish Flower, and a Welsummer. We are first time chicken owners and finally we got an egg then BAM. My 3 year old is so sad. 3 were mangled and 2 vanished. I want to take a couple days to reinforce the top of the run. It's surround by hardware cloth within a chain link fence over a concrete slab but the top of the run was plain chicken wire. I want to recover with corrugated plastic. Any birds for sale or tips would be great

Where do you live? I am so sorry for you loss. I lost 2 of mine this year to a Bobcat :(

Raccoon could easily do that. They have hands that will do almost anything a human can and strength that will surprise you. I really, really, really wish they'd name "Chicken wire" something else. So many people use it thinking its predator proof and they are protecting their chicks. I am truly sorry for your loss. Even though I try to fortress everything, I've been amazed at what has outwitted me. I have never lost any chickens inside my fortress's but I have had skunks get inside (literally they just ate eggs and kept coming back for eggs, which was how we shot them (3 of them). Each new critter makes me rethink and build stronger. Game camera set up will show you whats hangin around your place at night. Please don't feel defeated, we all have lost our babes to something, but we learn from each sad experience.

I'm so sorry! Almost any predator can climb! I'm not sure where you live. Racoon or fox. I would cover the top with hardware cloth too! Raccoons are sneaky and smart. Take a look around for you missing girls, After I had an attack on my run a few weeks back, some of my girls came running when I called and I found one of them after 2 days, she was living in the woods across the road.
Finding them would be a dream come true!!!

Most of us have learned the hard way, over time, as disasters happen. Build that Ft. Knox coop and run, and still fix issues as they occur! Don't waste your time or money on plastic or chicken wire, use hardware cloth, well secured, a dig-proof foundation, solid walls, and no openings larger than 1/2" diameter anywhere. And door locks! It's so sad to find dead birds in the morning, I know. So sorry for your loss. Mary

I am so sorry. First time chick mama here too---just put six in the coop a few days ago, have one ill chick still inside.
I can only imagine the sadness---not sure my little bean will make it and the thought of your tragedy is heartbreaking!
Hoping your missing girls show up safe.
HUGS.

Hi,

Sorry for your loss. If the chicken area is close by get a baby monitor and put it in the coop. You will definitely hear if something is going wrong. Also sit metal buckets like on a edge of the area where the chickens are so the preditator will knock it over thus alerting you to get your butt out there.

Back
Top Bottom