1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fox Got My Chickens Last Year

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DavidJr, Jan 28, 2013.

1. DavidJr

DavidJr New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Willis, Tx
    Afterwards redone the pen dug a ditch all the way around a couple feet deep filled it with bricks covered it up neighbor also got the fox for me. I knew something would try to get them sooner or latter so I set up a camera on them and sure enough my fox came, got him on video also.. Had to get more chicks and start over...

2. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow thanks for posting that, just goes to show how crafty a fox can be.

So sorry for your losses :( Can you keep them inside at night?

3. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    I notice your chicken house is up high and the chickens don't know to go in there for safety. Maybe if it was at or near ground level they could have gone in there where the fox couldn't see them and keep them running. I have all my houses at ground level and all chickens know to go in there when trouble comes.

4. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Sorry for your loss I always close the coop door at night to keep my chickens safe inside. I have not lost one chicken at night. Good luck.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Unfortunately no matter how many are killed, there is always another predator around. Proofing your pen can be time consuming and costly, but the only way to prevent predators from stealing your birds. Burying fence, or laying an apron of fence along the ground outside your pen, will prevent predators from digging underneath. What a sneaky little guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by