Fox got my Chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickcribs, May 23, 2010.

1. chickcribs

chickcribs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Just lost 11 chickens today from fox. not sure what to do, still have 5 chicks left. thought that my pen was secure. The fox took 4 of them and left 7 dead to get later.

My rooster luckily was able to get away and was on my neighbors house roof.

Total Massacre

Here is one of my chicks

[​IMG]

The Devestation

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. kill the fox..it will just keep coming back until they are all gone.

3. chickcribs

Apr 23, 2009
    that is what we are going to try to do. set 3 leg traps and waiting.

4. good luck! We are trying to get one ourselves right now, but in the meantime have gotten rid of a couple coons and possums...everything wants to eat our chickens!!! [​IMG]

5. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    How did he get in? What did you do to secure the coop?

6. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    i lost 6 to a fox the other day in the middle of the i chased it away but i did not have anything handy to shoot it with

7. Our chickens were free ranging when it grabbed one, she got away, I shot (missed, gonna blame that on distance, downhill, and being old!) but it ran. Our hen is ok, just bruised, scratched and missing lots of feathers. It was a light brahma so she had lots of feathers to go thru thank goodness! We put the girls on lockdown now, and we watch all the time. Can't say that our pen is totally predator proof, but is close to the house.

8. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I lost 22 the other night. Woke up about 4am to feed the baby and looked out the window. Saw them, went running with the shotgun but they bolted. Had live trap out since. no luck yet.

9. chickcribs

Apr 23, 2009
    A buddy of mine is hunting him right now. He was able to bring him in and saw him, but the fox saw him and took off.

Update 9:00pm. My buddy did not get him tonight, but said that he was big and seems that his den is close by. We'll see if the trap get hims tonight.
    [​IMG]

We also set up a couple traps

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Fox are the worst. I lost some free range bantam's last year and several duck's.That one group of fox were coming daylight.I think the rabbit and smaller animal's getting sparse here so...They are almost Impossible to trap unless you are an experienced trapper.They have a keen sense of smell and hearing.Luckily my neighbor caught them when they had young and wiped out 4 kit's and the parent's.That was after the spring massacre of my bird's and duck's and he had some small coop's with layers and some sebright's.We have a new pair this year on other ridge along with coyote. grrrrrrr .Cant even try leg traps here because of dog's etc.
    So worried finaly got the duck's out they hover at horse stall at night where they were ground raised but...I worry last 3 morns how many will be there next morn. Baaaaaaaa
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by