Fox got our Delaware in the middle of the afternoon

Linebradfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2019
We were free ranging our girls for the last few months and had no issues until this week. We had 10 girls in our flock, 2 Red Stars, 2 New Hampshire’s, 2 Black Sex Links and 4 Delaware’s. My neighbor saw the fox run off with our poor girl in his mouth. This run was an immediate response to the threat. 5’ x 16’ with chicken wire fastened underneath a pressure treated base. Chicken wire on all walls with the exception of the shared coop wall. Wood frame and plywood roof with rubber roofing on order and will be installed later in the week. 6” of sand covered by straw. Ador2 automatic door opener/closer. The interior of the coop is 4’ X 16’ with 2 roost boxes. I would love any input anyone has even if it’s helpful criticism. Have I missed anything? Size adequate for a 9 bird flock?
1B5570C2-8698-40B2-8CEB-8D545113CAF2.png
6C115433-7E2D-4A4A-BCE3-2ABFF99D6292.png
A1C1A6EE-A49B-45FD-9DD4-308E4AE6826E.png
6C115433-7E2D-4A4A-BCE3-2ABFF99D6292.png

It's my understanding that chicken wire keeps chickens from getting out but stronger predators can rip right through it and raccoons have no issue reaching in and beheading them ;( hardware cloth is much stronger

It's my understanding that chicken wire keeps chickens from getting out but stronger predators can rip right through it and raccoons have no issue reaching in and beheading them ;( hardware cloth is much stronger
Ideally no chickens in outer run during night and they will retreat into building if a predator approaches outer run during day.

I'm sorry about your loss, and right in daylight, too! That had to be distressing. But also motivating. You've fortified your defenses and hopefully they will be adequate. Best wishes going forward! :hugs

Welcome! It's an improvement, but that chicken wire just isn't enough! You have chicken wire indoors too; again, not enough.
Hardware cloth, well secured, with 2"x4" woven wire over the lower 4' outside, all with fence staples and then wood strips screwed over the top, will be worth the time and money.
Rats and weasels can get right through the chicken wire, and every other predator can tear it apart. Raptors will stay out, a very good thing.
Over the years we learn, and upgrade, and it's after yet another disaster for the birds!
Do you have snow? Build for the snow load!!! A flat roof needs lots of support, even for heavy rain.
Add a hardware cloth 'skirt' to help prevent digging, because rats will go through your chicken wire base.
It looks really nice!
Mary

also with a fox they will both climb and dig, You need some mire mesh so the diggers cannot come in from digging under. especially when they have young they don't care about what time of day or night it is they will hunt as needed and able

Back
Top Bottom