Fox had its paw through the mesh

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by t0m, Sep 21, 2012.

1. t0m

t0m Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    My Coop
  2. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Wow, that is scary! How did you happen to catch it? The run I am having built around my coop is just about finished and I am hoping by Sunday to have the girls and one roo settled in. Only problem is that it is behind my horse barn, and I can't see it from the house. I am turning into such a nut job, I am considering putting a closed circuit monitor out there and perhaps a baby monitor so I could hear what is going on. I too realized that what the stores had in stock wasn't going to cut it where I live and had to special order 200 ft. of 1x1 welded wire. Running that underground wasn't fun, and I got some great ideas from members here on BYC with dropping two rows of cinderblock around the perimeter. Wire on top too because of all the Hawks and Eagles around here.

YIKES!

MB

3. Pullet Surprise

Pullet Surprise Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep! Time for hardware cloth (half inch would be best). The fox will be back. So glad this event was a warning and Katie is O.K. Too often there aren't second chances. Time to go over your coop and run etc. with a fine tooth comb and check out every little possible weakness. Close call!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. t0m

t0m Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    My Coop
    Half inch mesh sounds like the ticket. I've got an 8 inch apron of mesh inside the tractor that should stop the fox digging underneath. Also I am going to move the kids playhouse which was next door to where the fox struck. I think it probably hid behind the playhouse and ambushed Katie when she got close.

I also saw a dead raccoon on the road not a mile from our house. I think they mostly just scavenge round our way though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by