Fox in my chicken pen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by redstar14, Aug 13, 2013.

1. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    My chicken run is right next to my dog pen should that be enough protection from predators

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] NO. The fox will be smart enough to sidestep the dog pen and go right for the chickens, either dig under, or jump or climb over, or if you are just using flimsy chicken wire, he can just scratch and bite his way thru.

Read up on the predators thread, you really need a Ft.Knox of a coop & run to keep most predators at bay. I'm sure you'll have more than just foxes dropping by. Everything seems to love chickens and not in a good way.

4. xx Georgina xx

xx Georgina xx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2013
    Hi,
    I have a magazine and it says to keep predators out you need to...
    .Fox busting nesting kits
    .Poultry netting kits
    .Protection from badgers and rabbits
    .Garden and pond protection
    .Bowling green and sports field protection

Or just put a electric fence to keep them out then thy won't bother the chickens ever again

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. LUVMYCHIKAS

LUVMYCHIKAS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I don't know if the dog pen is enough, but at our house the pen is stapled 6' chain link to concrete in the ground landscape timbers with rat wire 2' around the bottom and 1' on the ground all the way around so nothing can dig in. The top is covered and stapled as well. All the staples are 21/2" construction staples. A 200lb man can't pull any of this fencing off this run or coop. The coop is critter proof as well. The three windows have rat wire (not chicken wire) on the inside. All the doors to the coop and run are bolted and locked during the night and days too if no one is home. We have 5 dogs that mark all around the coop with urine and feces every day and a 6th dog in a 10x10 pen approx. 25' from the coop/run. I have an owl statue with the bobble head posted on top of the run to deter hawks etc. I have a Solar Predator protection Nite eyes to deter small critters at night. With all this in place, I've had no predators attempt to get to my chickens. I haven't even seen evidence that they have been in my yard. My yard is 1 acre cleared, 4 acres wooded surrounded by 27 acres of wooded. There are plenty of gray and red fox, raccoon, and opossum. That being said, take as many precautions as you can! My goal is not to lose a single chicken or guinea from my flock. knocking on wood....I've lost no one so far! I make sure everyone is cooped up every night before dark. They only free-range under my supervision. I literally sit outside 6 feet from the coop in the evenings or on the weekends while they romp around the yard to ensure everyones safety. I've seen no signs of danger YET! I'm no fool! The fox is in woods watching as I type....

6. LUVMYCHIKAS

LUVMYCHIKAS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I don't know if the dog pen is enough, but at our house the pen is stapled 6' chain link to concrete in the ground landscape timbers with rat wire 2' around the bottom and 1' on the ground all the way around so nothing can dig in. The top is covered and stapled as well. All the staples are 21/2" construction staples. A 200lb man can't pull any of this fencing off this run or coop. The coop is critter proof as well. The three windows have rat wire (not chicken wire) on the inside. All the doors to the coop and run are bolted and locked during the night and days too if no one is home. We have 5 dogs that mark all around the coop with urine and feces every day and a 6th dog in a 10x10 pen approx. 25' from the coop/run. I have an owl statue with the bobble head posted on top of the run to deter hawks etc. I have a Solar Predator protection Nite eyes to deter small critters at night. With all this in place, I've had no predators attempt to get to my chickens. I haven't even seen evidence that they have been in my yard. My yard is 1 acre cleared, 4 acres wooded surrounded by 27 acres of wooded. There are plenty of gray and red fox, raccoon, and opossum. That being said, take as many precautions as you can! My goal is not to lose a single chicken or guinea from my flock. knocking on wood....I've lost no one so far! I make sure everyone is cooped up every night before dark. They only free-range under my supervision. I literally sit outside 6 feet from the coop in the evenings or on the weekends while they romp around the yard to ensure everyones safety. I've seen no signs of danger YET! I'm no fool! The fox is in woods watching as I type....

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by