1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fox in the hen house

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nocody1, Aug 16, 2013.

1. nocody1

nocody1 New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    my new chickens are not laying. they are about 6 months old. we give them plenty of water, grit, calcium. lighting is good. we believe the cause to be a fox family that is causing them to be stressed. we were also wondering if we obtained a hen that was laying, would this help them to start?

2. OldRedChicken

OldRedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    do you keep the door closed or open cause if it is open that would probably cause them not to lay cause the fox could come in. we also have a fox that is trying to catch our chickens but we leave our dog out and she chases them away. you could use a live trap and catch them and move them to a different place in the woods.

3. nocody1

nocody1 New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    durning the day it is open. they are enclosed in an open 8 ft fence with a roof but the fox or what ever has gotten in at night when we forgot to lock them up for the night. also something has fallen threw the roof and gotten one. am looking for a dog to train as a sentry for them. use to have a lab that kept them away but he died. we are looking for live traps but in our county we have to have a permit (we do) to catch them and they are vector 8 species so we have to kill them because they carry rabies and can not be relocated. thanks

4. OldRedChicken

OldRedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    I would probably leave them in all day then.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is illegal, I think in pretty much every state.

6. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Use leg hold trap duke makes one with rubber pads so its humane for the animal they can be bought on ebay or flemming outdoors .com

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    No mention about what breed of hen you have. The breed of hen makes a difference about how old they are before they start laying.

8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Ditto above. My faverolles have only just started at 6.5 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by