Fox in the snow!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by windtryst, Feb 3, 2009.

1. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    Hawks last week, now a fox!

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh WOW! Great pic! Hope he wasn't scoping out the cluckers [​IMG]

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

They are beautiful animals!!! I still love them even thought they snagged one of my chickies... she wondered out of the yard and he was hungry I guess....

Great pic, thanks for sharing!

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:That's what happened to my Silver Spangled Hamburg. Couldn't blame the fox.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, in regards to the fox, we have a beautiful specimen that's been hanging around also.

I scared the crap out of him when I went to the coop to check for eggs. He was sunning on the south side in front of the door.

My coop is predator proof. Makes life fun for me and the fox.

This is their breeding season and makes them a little stupid, kinda like any of us when we are in the mood for love, eh?

It's open season here, however I think live and let live is ok, they are fun to watch....terrible winter here, and I hope the fox and all the wild animals can make through!

bigzio

6. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It is winter and they are all getting hungry...wild animals dont like humans...it is the hunger that brings them in...keep an eye of the fox just in case he has rabies...I'd call your animal control and let them know about it... Maybe they could catch it and relocate it...

7. blackrooster

blackrooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    ky
    great pic

8. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    Pretty! As long as they don't eat my chicas, I'm not worried about them! Em

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Cool pic! [​IMG] What was he looking at?

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:It is winter and they are all getting hungry...wild animals dont like humans...it is the hunger that brings them in...keep an eye of the fox just in case he has rabies...I'd call your animal control and let them know about it... Maybe they could catch it and relocate it...

Animal control rarely, if ever, relocates, no matter what they tell you. That especially applies to foxes, raccoons and any other animal with a reputation of carrying rabies. Not their fault, just management of rabies.

Beautiful little fox, just keep an eye on your chickens and cats, and if you notice any unusual behavior, call the authorities. Foxes will come out to forage and sun during the day, that's normal this time of year. But if you got out and it doesn't run...... then YOU need to run!

Nice photo. Looks pretty cold in PA!
    *where is that shivering smiley?*

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by