Fox in the yard!!

lovemelovemybirds

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Grand Junction
55804_21sept10fox.jpg

After the dog was put up....husband off today,heard the rackett...Fox runnin with a bird.....dropped the bird...chicken is safe....he shot the fox, but it still ran off...is following the blood trail as we speak!!

Glad the bird is safe. Foxes are opportunists, not noctural. Rarely will there be a single fox in an area. I hope you find the wounded one and make sure to be on the lookout for others.

this will be the 5th that we have either live trapped or shot outright...I need to leave the dog out...theycome at dusk and dawn usually..this one waited till the dog was put up....very crafty. I told the local DOW about the problem years ago.....the lady asked if we were putting food out to attract them...I looked at her and said "chickens...that's why I'm here." So we figured we were pretty much on our own.

1081 foxes!!? OM!! I'm sure there are more....but 5 are the only ones we've had deadly contact with...if the chickens and geese could speak I'm sure there have been more. Yes...the live trap worked for a select few...of the 5, there were three that entered the trap.... and then delt with...we usually bait it with the remains of a chicken already killed and the fox ran off when we startled it....we have seen many...but to get a shot off in our area is very iffy, as we are on 3 acres but the encroachment is upon us...and horses are in the neighbors pasture...stuff like that. The trap should be put on a known route....rub the scent of the batl all around it... wear gloves...we camoflaged (sp) with straw.....some go in others do not. The live trap is the largest one available at our Sportsmans Warehouse....Dogs have been the best deterrent...but the foxes watch and learn very quickly.

Quote:
i meant the havahart live trap model number 1081. that is the fox, etc. sized live trap they make.

i didn't mean 1081 foxes!!!

cute
wink.png

and thanks for the info.............it helps.

lol.png
Weellllll? I thought maybe you lived in an area and have really had a bad fox problem... or shot lots of foxes!!! LOL!!
lau.gif
Anyhoo.....the one we got yesturday ran off...but the husband tracked it..it was a good size....we have another pic but it is graphic and so I chose not to post.....we kept one pelt from one we got 2 years ago... and had it tanned..and my Brother in law took one and had it made into a hat....this one I kept the brush to train the dog better....they just keep coming.

i coulda had alot of fun with that 1081 foxes thing. but since i am a nice person
big_smile.png
i decided not too. hee hee

But further. ALL the foxes that entered your live traps got out without the trap even tripping?

Back
Top Bottom