Fox in Town: What do you do?

BlueSwede81

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2016
Florida
Earlier tonight, a fox came through my yard. He was chased off before he could grab anyone but a few weeks back I did lose a duck, probably to this same fox. I spritzed some Animal B Gon around their pen for tonight and hopefully that will keep him away for tonight.
What do you all do to ward off predators? I would be interested in what methods everyone takes to protect their flocks.

The best thing you can do is provide a secure housing unit, especially for the hours between dusk and dawn. The use of electric fencing can be very helpful in adding an extra layer of repellent to the enclosure. I am in the "predator proof the coop and confine during roost hours" camp and have used a strand or two of electric fencing on the perimeter.

I have a Fox problem too...This Fox hunts in the morning and mid afternoon...Also comes during the night...If the Fox did get the Duck?...It will be back....
Secure the Birds and only let out if you can supervise...Even then the Fox might take one...It got my Chicken as I was only 50 feet away and it scooped her up and ran....

Best wishes:frow

That sucks fairly sure ive got one too, lost well lost count how many birds i have lost this spring...

I tend to agree lock up what you can, frankly while they typically hunt @ dusk/dawn many have reported foxes being more bold and coming all other times of day...

They can clear a 5/6ft fence too so secure buildings are your best bet. Good luck!

Just a thought....so nobody freak out....you can never fully predator-proof your run but I've been told the following method works well...
shoot the fox, buy shovel, bury it, tell no one.

Just a thought....so nobody freak out....you can never fully predator-proof your run but I've been told the following method works well...
shoot the fox, buy shovel, bury it, tell no one.

Which is effective - against this one fox......but does nothing to protect the flock from the next predator.

don't have many foxes where i live (right now we have coyotes every where), but we use a few methods,
first off we use hardware cloth for the run, and roof (its expensive but it works so far) to prevent foxes, coons, weasels and coyotes.

next we have decided to put electric fence around the coop and run, more for the same predators but more on the hopes of preventing bears or hogs from ruining the wire.

also i took up trapping to prevent predators from getting in while at the same time making some money in the process, i like to use havahart style traps for raccoons and hope to get one for foxes and coyotes (during the season for foxes and where i live coyotes are open season) and i also use weasel boxes during weasel season as well. (but trapping is legal for me as i took the course to get my trappers license not sure about the laws where you live)

so that is are plan on preventing foxes (and others) from getting in are coop to kill the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom