Fox just chased my flock across the yard in broad daylight!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nab58, Aug 15, 2013.

1. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Well, I was warned!

My neighbor told me there are fox in the area bold enough to come right into your yard in broad daylight.
    I thought my biggest danger was hawks not fox!

I let my 6 hens out when I got home from work at about 4:15 and went in the house. I was sitting by the sliding glass doors and suddenly heard a chicken in distress. I got up and saw a red fox chasing one poor chicken not 20 feet away from me through the back yard. I yelled and the fox veered off in the opposite direction. the chicken was gone.
    We found the other 5 unscathed and put them in ther coop. We were afraid the fox would hand around in the woods until it was quiet and pick off the stray chicken. I was determined to either find or wait until the chicken came out of hiding. We could not find her and figured she was hiding in the underbrush somewhere near the coop.
    About an hour later we found her in the front yard walking around in the open! the dumb cluck!

She appears to be uninsured even thought here was a huge pile of feathers where the fox must have gotten a bite. those feathers are quite protective!

So now well have to come up with some alternative to allow the chickens to free range within a confined area. It's too bad,we really enjoy seeing them roam around.!

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very glad you didn't lose any birds. I have lost 5 guineas and 10 mallard ducks to a fox this summer. I had to stop free ranging my birds, and set up a 100' electric net fence to provide a protected yard area. I plan on getting another 100' fence to provide more space.

Unfortunately, your fox is going to keep coming back. You can keep your birds locked up, get a dog (assuming the dog won't chase the chickens!) or go with electric fencing. The electric fence worked for me.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Or shoot the fox.

Most towns won't allow guns to be fired, unless the gun is being fired to protect people or animals from attack. The fox was chasing your chickens. That would be a good time to shoot the fox. A shotgun would be a good choice because you can only shoot a short distance. Just make sure you know what is in the area in the direction in which you shoot.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    For shooting, they make some rather potent air rifles that would kill a fox. You could try to trap it, but you would still have to kill it. Most likely, it is illegal to relocate a fox in your area as it is in mine. Besides, I hear that they come back anyways.

Some sort of fence might help. I have a fenced area for mine to roam. Any predator would have to start by jumping the fence. Then the predator would have to decide whether or not it could get back over the fence before my Aussie caught it.

Chris

5. nab58

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I think electric fencing will be my only choice. Can someone post a link to the product you use?

Is it something that's movable similar to a tractor?

Thanks!

6. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  7. nab58

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Thanks! You have to buy the fence and energizer separately?

what height do you use for chickens and can/will a fox jump over?

8. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Yes, you pick what energiser you want. It can be household current, or solar. Then, of course, you select what lengths of fence you want, and how many of each length, and what height. Check the link and you can see all that. Give them a call, they will answer any questions you have.
    I use 48" high fencing. Animals, fox or whatever, won't just come up to and jump over a fence. Being naturally wary, they will check out the strange (To them) barrier, usually with their nose. Then they get a 7000V or so shock to the face, then they are goooooone. They forget about having a chicken dinner that day.
    I got my fence directly due to harassment, and loss of my chickens to the local fox population. I lost 16 birds in two separate daytime attacks. I've had this fence up over a year and a half. The chickens can get out everyday with no problems. The fox and his friends are still around, but the fence has done
    it's job. I started out buying 300', and liked it so much, I bought 300' more to expand the range a bit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    That's pretty nifty.

How much did your whole system cost?

10. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    All together, just north of $1100, bought in three chunks over a years time. But that to me, it was/is still a good deal, after I saw on this site, somebody was quoted something like $2400, for a wood framed, hardwarecloth wrapped enclosure, literally a fraction of the size run I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by