Fox killed 18 today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cottontail farm, May 10, 2019.

1. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Not a typo. 18 chickens gone including my rooster. I looked out the window around 3 to see a fox carrying a chicken off. I was totally shocked as I've never seen a fox in the day on our property. It came right back, ran around the pen and went INTO the pen. I was home alone with two babies so all I could do was open the door and scream obscenities at it... it would run off and be back 5 minutes later. Repeated this until my husband got home and I could go outside. A hen, my rooster and 16 young pullets are dead or assumed dead. 4 dead pullets were laying in a neat pile along the back of the fence.
    Found the small hole dug under the fence where it got in. After NO fox attacks ever this happens. Apparently the fox/foxes were at it all day as I let the birds out at 8 a.m. The chicken at the bottom of the pile was going into rigor.
    Assuming we have a pair of foxes with a den of babies to feed. And of course they took all of the young birds and left the 5 old ones that were getting butchered this fall anyway.
    Just needed to vent. What a crap day.

2. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    I'm so sorry. That's just awful.

3. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Very sorry for your loss! Not sure if you have Fish and Game Wardens in your area, but it may be worth the call. They can help you trap them and relocate them. Again I'm very sorry

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for the loss. Get the gun ready. The fox will be back.

5. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

That is just terrible! I'm so sorry! :hit :hugs

6. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I think the fox decided it was done for the day when I did just that. The fence is fixed :(

7. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I called them last week about a raccoon and was to kill it or relocate it. Got the raccoon the next day. it's always something around here.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may want to look into 'hotwire' electric fencing for around your pen. It is a great educator for predators. Good luck.

9. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    it was suggested to me that the fox has learned not to bother trying at night because the birds are locked up. Therefore the daytime raid. :(

10. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I can imagine. We are out in the woods and I have yet to see anything but the neighbors have several Coonhounds that I think scare most things away. If it wasn't for those loud dogs, I'd have no flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: