Fox or rooster serious wounds/ need advice on best treatment

Kachix

Hatching
Jun 16, 2021
I have 2 hens who were either attacked by a fox (Fox was caught attacking the chickens but not sure if these wounds are definitely from the fox) or hurt by one of our roosters on 6/7. They both have very similar wounds. By the time I got them the wounds were very dried out and black looking.

As of Sunday 1 could no longer walk however is still eating/drinking and seems ok the other was still standing until yesterday at which point she has also stopped standing.

I suspect that the wounds are infected and that is what is causing them to deteriorate and not to be able to stand however I’m not sure.

Looking for advice on what over the counter antibiotics are available and where to get them and what dose would be for a chicken. As of now they are on tylan powder mixed with their drinking water. I have also been putting neosporin on the cuts everyday.

Attachments

• FB83FB3E-56AC-429D-B78E-A572F5EEC18C.jpeg
    FB83FB3E-56AC-429D-B78E-A572F5EEC18C.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 80D2E298-8718-46AA-8981-C6479F24598A.jpeg
    80D2E298-8718-46AA-8981-C6479F24598A.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DD638ABB-E109-4F54-B85A-4C8521A8EFED.jpeg
    DD638ABB-E109-4F54-B85A-4C8521A8EFED.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 15
I would get some Hibiclens or other brand of Chlorhexidene at your pharmacy, and clean the wounds with 1/2 water and that to wounds before applying the antibiotic ointment. Is there a bad odor? Sometimes you may find Fish Mox at your local TSC or feed store, or you can get some online. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day for 7 days. Or call your regular vet for antibiotics.

Since they are not walking, offer watery feed and some cooked egg up to the beaks. Have water close to them.

I would get some Hibiclens or other brand of Chlorhexidene at your pharmacy, and clean the wounds with 1/2 water and that to wounds before applying the antibiotic ointment. Is there a bad odor? Sometimes you may find Fish Mox at your local TSC or feed store, or you can get some online. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day for 7 days. Or call your regular vet for antibiotics.

Since they are not walking, offer watery feed and some cooked egg up to the beaks. Have water close to them.
thank you! no smell yet. yes i have their feed and water right next to them and i have seen them eating and drinking. I have also offered scrambled eggs only 1 hen would eat them.

no vet that i have called will help or even give me dosing information or point me in the direction of what is safe to give and where i could get something over the counter.

how should the Fish Mox be administered to chickens, IM or orally?

Back
Top Bottom