Fox photo - downtown Tulsa

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This little red lady has whelped her kits on my property for several years - I took this photo of her last April - put my little camera up to the eyepiece on my binoculars. I saw four kits last year and the papa pretty often - at all times during the days until about July, then I saw them much less often.

Someone in Vixen's family killed my Barred Rock pullet last week but good Winifred was too heavy for the villain to carry over the back fence. Found prints in the snow and saw the fox running down back, but didn't witness the deed. I think she may have some new kits in the next couple of months.

It's neat that I can see wildlife in the city - I've also seen hawks (got another one of my clucks), eagles, raccoons, possums, a big-ole woodchuck, and skunks out back of my city place. Hmmm...I used to like seeing all that stuff a lot more before I got clucks.

Anyway...

22131_tulsa_fox_4-08.jpg

"She cried, 'John, John the gray goose is gone and the fox is on the town-o"

I have to say I think it's great how well you're taking this . . . I'm sorry you lost your hen, but I applaud your sense of perspective. I hope she's able to raise her kits without taking any more of your critters.

We are just out of Tulsa....Jenks. We have a mama and at least 3 kits right now that tease the pups and harass the chooks.
barnie.gif

I personally figure if they all don't eat each other they can all stay...LOL BUT have to add.....when they all go back to their normal predator ways..........well.............someone is gonna lose and it won't be my chooks..........

Thanks fargosmom. This site is therapy for me...we raised white leghorns for eggs and meat when I was a kid and I didn't like chickens. Stinky, dumb, big mean roosters, hated cleaning out the chicken house, butchering season...yuck yuck yuck.

One sweet little barred rock hen who liked to sit on my lap and eat my morning paper as fast as I could read it has changed my mind about clucks. They're great!

Back
Top Bottom