fox prevention

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sashurlow, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    So we definitely have a fox on the property. Now that the snow is here, I found the tracks going up the middle of my property. I have filled the three fox holes with used cat litter. The tracks went up to the fox holes.
    We don't have chickens yet and the coop had a skirt all around it.
    What prevention can I do to prevent issues?
    Scott

2. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    leg trap, rifle,or a dog the will run a fox

3. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Try to contact a local trapper. It's difficult to trap a fox. With out boring you with all the details, surfice it to say there is MUCH more to it than buying a trap and setting it. It's next to impossible to catch an adult fox in a live trap. Filling the den holes wont drive the fox away. They generally only use the dens in the spring when they are raising pups. You could try looking on craig's list, but I think you would be farther ahead to go thru a trapper's organization, either on the local or state level. If you need more help PM me.

4. sashurlow

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    OH.... And I am not trapping or killing the fox. What can I do to co-habitat with my fox?
    Scott

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Thats right, Ive heard if you can master a fox set you can catch any thing, luckily I work with an old trapper

6. BantyRooster

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Predators dont understand co-habitation. They understand hunger and opportunity. It's up to you to ensure your coop and runs are predator proof. Do some research on here. There are many, many threads on how to accomplish this. Keep in mind that if the birds are left outside the secure area they will be preyed upon. It's only a matter of time. These animals survive in the wild by perseverance and patience...much more than today's humans.

Good luck.

7. BantyRooster

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I caught two fox and a coyote since this Monday...that's alot of rabbits, pheasants, and fawns that wont be eaten alive....just a thought.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I think you will find that trying to cohabitat with a fox and keep chickens around, will be next to impossible. They will want to eat and your chickens will be easy game even if you try to feed them.

It would be like putting me next to some chocolate and asking me not to eat it! Eventually, instinct and nature will overcome any logic and I would just eat the chocolate even if I liked you a whole bunch - I simply cannot be trusted anywhere near chocolate! It is my nature to consume it!

My grandfather was a trapper of fox in the arctic. One summer the company he worked with went belly up (during the depression) and he trapped all summer long, got to the place where the boat was to pick him up and there was no boat - after 3 weeks of waiting in September he hiked himself with a large load of pelts out of the islands...but that is another story.

Caroline

9. sashurlow

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    As the OP, could I ask that we keep this on the aspect of prevention and not elimination.
    I do have a degree in wildlife management so I am aware that prey will be replaced by reproduction and predators will be replaced by another predator who now has an opportunity to succeed. Not to mentions, they are not my foxes, they belong to the neighborhood.
    Scott

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    How about Tabasco? and an electric fence line?
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by