fox problem in the UK. Graphic video pictures.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by warren, Jun 17, 2008.

1. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Would you believe that here in the US, the Fox is the least of our worries? With coyotes, Great Horned Owls, racoons, badgers, mink, possums, eagles, hawks, lynx, et al. I would be greatly pleased if only a fox came for my birds. [​IMG]

3. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I had his cousin try and get to my chickens yesterday at NOON. Had I seen him sooner I too, like the hunter would have had a new fox fur.

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hmm, I wouldn't call them the least here in OH. Coyotes are definitely first, don't get me wrong, but I've actually seen more foxes doing the perimeter stalk (a gray/silver one was hit by a vehicle on the road in front of our property--I actually hated that, b/c you seldom see one of those). Two foxes to one coyote so far this year alone. Coyotes are bolder, though...yeah, they're a bigger worry.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Can I just say that I love the BBC? They tell it like it is and don't try to sugarcoat anything or sway anyone's opinion one way or another. It's good, honest journalism (most of the time).

The guy who shot the fox was hilarious, too...not because he shot the fox, but because of his personality. What a character!

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yeah....we have:

Raccoons, weasels, badgers, porcupines, skunks, foxes, coyotes, owls, eagles, hawks, neighbor dogs, cougars, bears, cats and some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. LOL

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I wouldn't imagine that there's any correlation between this and the cessation of fox-hunting in the UK, but the timing is ironic.

(disclaimer: I've only ever been on "bloodless" foxhunts here in the U.S., so have no experience with or standing in being for or against traditional British foxhunts.)

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I assume that's exactly why he posted it. The fox hunting ban was overwhelmingly unpopular in the countryside, but the vote of the Londoners outweighed them as with lots of issues. It's a tense topic to discuss even amongst friends and family.

I just generally assume an extra 10% stocking rate on all animals assuming I will have predator losses. I would probably be considered a barbarian if I wrote that in Smallholding or Practical Poultry magazines. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by