Fox Problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mr chicken dude, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    At around 4:00AM I heard the chickens going crazy so I go out to look and by chicken pen it had took a huge glob of feathers out of my mixed breed bantam that was sleeping against the cage and the wire was all bent and pulled out. I lost a Buff Orpington 2 days ago and thought it was a hawk or dog.

I had used a spotlight and shined it down into the field and saw it run into the woods.

I know I have fox I have a pic of it on my Game Camera.

Here's the pic.

[​IMG]

Am I able to live trap it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you didn't see the predator and given your description of the wire being pulled out, I would be more inclined to think you culprit is a raccoon. They are notorious for pulling birds through the wire.

3. Invictus

Invictus New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    sw PA
    you will be able to live trap a raccoon, a fox will be very difficult

4. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Quote:I used a spotlight and was able to see it run into the woods. Sorry I forgot to add that in my post.

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

jojo@rolling acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I had a fox issue about 2 years ago. It finally died of mange - thank, goodness. They are hard to trap and hard to shoot. I saw it attempt to get to my silkies at 4 p.m. one Sunday afternoon. Two weeks later it took one of my bantum hens. He pulled it through a chain link fence - again in the afternoon. My dogs are gentle around my chikens so the hen didn't move away from the cage wire quickly enough I guess.

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Wild foxes tend to be wire shy so your best bet would be to set out a paw trap or snare. If you are set on a live trap use the really big ones (like for coyotes or bobcats) and disguise the wire well with pine branches or something similar.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if it is a grey fox they are easy to catch a red will be a little more of a challange google drift fencing for some intresting reading that should be able to get you started

8. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I agree that foxes are naturally very shy and wary, but from my own experiences, and reading about others', they can get really bold. Some will chase a chicken right up onto the porch in broad daylight. The one that I trapped didn't think twice about crawling right into a small pet crate to try to grab Silkie hen that was in there (the hen wasn't harmed).

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you can find it's travel route a snare will work quite well.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2 if you go where your yard ends and the woods start this is a good place to start or where your yard ends and a field starts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by