1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fox problems!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JSully1990, Feb 17, 2013.

1. JSully1990

JSully1990 New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Hey y'all, I'm new to this page and have a serious problem. I recently got back into raising birds after about 2 yrs. Before, I always had dogs so I never saw a fox within 500 yrds. from my house and only when hunting. My neighbors dog and mine both died recently due to some form of poisioning. Now I have seen a pair of red fox in my back yard three times in one week. I need some advice because shooting them from my house is hard because of my family's problem with the noise. :) I don't mind it though. Help please.

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I would suggest getting a humane trap. Just place some kind of meat in there, and the fox will def get stuck. Then release it far away from your house

3. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    Don't release it if you plan on trapping it. That just creates a problem for someone else. Shoot them, a .22 doesn't make much noise.
    After getting rid of the predators here all we need is someone dropping off more,so don't release them.

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    You could release the fox into another wooded area, a place with no human activity, where a fox can still survive

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Good luck getting a fox into a boxtrap. I had/have fox problems here as well. The really bad thing about a fox is that they won't take just one chicken. I lost 7, and then 9 in two different daytime attacks. I tried trapping the fox with a boxtrap. I tried different baits, tried spraying the trap with a scent masking spray. Tried camoflaging the trap. No luck, I did catch a few coons, and one of my birds, but no fox. I hear that snares, or hidden foot traps work, but I never messed with those. I ended up getting 400' of electrified poultry netting. That did the trick for me, the netting/fence has been up for almost a full year, and my chickens have been safe. Other than that, if I can get to a gun when I see a fox, I shoot them on sight.
    Jack

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    kina depends on what kind of fox you have greys are pretty easy to get into cage traps much like B'kitties but reds and yote require foot traps the cage needs to be high enough so the fox does not have to crawl in the absolute best bait is what they have previously killed other then this is a professionally made K-9 lure or bait right now the greys are not intreted in food lures as much as the smell of another fox they are mating and gland lure is catching them here right now

7. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    [​IMG]

This particular fox is no longer my problem. Unfortunately, there are many more still active on my property. I don't know if it's true, but my daughter told me releasing it any less than 100 miles from my property and it would be back. So far, it hasn't made it out of my freezer to mess with my chooks.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Shoot the fox, it isn't like it's an endangered species.

9. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    maybe it would work if it was Disneyland,but its not. The resident foxes would drive it out until it found vacant territory,usually by somebody who raises poultry who just got their fox problem under control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by