fox proof chicken hutch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by katieg, Oct 11, 2012.

1. katieg

katieg New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Im designing a chicken hutch for my A level coursework, and i need to see what other chicken owners think of my design, im making it so there is a slide out floor tray so it is easier to clean the hutch, as i find there all to small to get in and clean, i also came up with the idea of a swing mechanism wereb chickens can fly up a range of swings to get in to the hutch so they do not have to be locked up on the night and its high up enough so foxes cant get in either,i would really appreciate any feedback you could give on my ideas, and even mention any of youre own, thankyou

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    "its high up enough so foxes cant get in either"
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That is the pivotal condition. I suspect that if these swings swing enough that a hungry predator looking for an easy meal cannot ascend them, then the chickens won't use them either.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I read a post that said that a fox can jump 5 to 6 feet vertically. If the rungs of the swing were that far apart the chickens are unlikely to use them. My full grown chickens cannot fly that high without a running head start.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Considering the simplest solution might just be a door. My chickens walk through the door into the run and I close it. I haven't seen any foxes around here. I think the coyotes eat them all. lol[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris[/FONT]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by