Fox Proof pen?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by remist17, Nov 8, 2011.

1. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    How do you fox proof a chicken run? About a week ago I saw a red fox going into the woods. Last night while going out to the barn I saw a rabbit run out to the tree edge were a commotion went on and I heard some squealing. I figure the fox got a rabbit.

I am concerned over the chicken safety. They are in a run all day and night. At night they are locked into the barn. I have 2x4 wire around the outside with chicken wire down in the dirt about 6" and up the side of the 2x4 fence about 24". Along the top of the dirt I have some rocks pilled. The top is covered with 2x4 welded wire. The eves of the barn are closed and I have 1/2" wire over the windows. Is there anything else I can do ?

I am going to run a line of electric from the pasture fence over to the chicken area and run two lines of electric wire with a ground wire between them.

2. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:sounds to me like you pretty much have it covered,with one exception.you would have been MUCH better off useing hardware cloth instead of chicken wire.
    chicken wire is easy for a preditor to get through.

3. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Chicken wire can't go underground, it 'rots'. Hardware cloth does not. Otherwise, wow, I think you've got it covered! So to speak....

4. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I really could not afford the 1/2 hardware mesh. Here its about 60 for 100 feet. Chicken wire was bout 12

I will need to save some or sell some eggs and put that down. I guess I can just lay that on the ground and put rocks and dirt on the mesh?

We also lost a bunch of trees from a early snow fall.... so I was thinkg on cutting the lims up and putting the large ones down along the fence bottom. They are about 8" in dia and over 10 feet in length.

5. jpsbcfc

jpsbcfc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    west midlands, uk
    imo anything against the mesh where it meets the ground should stop diggers.

i have used paving slabs in some places on mine where burying mesh wouldnt have been easy.

seems to have worked so far

6. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Grey fox can climb very well, so be sure that you take that into account. Is the top of your run covered? Aside from that, sounds like you've got Fort Knox at your place :)

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I use the 6X6 remesh and cover that with chicken wire.
    It's not galvanized and rusts but it's very strong.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I called the mfg'er of the weld wire and hc to get some information. I was told it would last buried for at least 15 years. That was a minunum.

9. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 2x4 wire on top supported by some old trees that needed to come down. These trees are a good 4" diam running the length of the roof. Wire is attached to them by zip ties.

I asked the wife to run to the store and she is getting the mesh today. I will lay 24" mesh on the ground and put rock on it.

10. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Sounds like you have a solid built pen. Foxes are opportunists and will seek the easiest way to acquire a meal. Your fence would be too hard too dig under and not possible to go over.

Locking chickens up at night keeps them safe from coons and possums. Looks like you're doing a great job. Electric fence would be a great back up plan to even keep the night time critters away. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by