fox season

WthrLady

Enabler
9 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
I though I heard a vixen the other night.

I happened to glance out the window at 7pm tonight and saw a HUGE male fox running along the edge of the meadow and running the length of my run. it caught sight of me as I grabbed my gun and took off into the tall grass.

It's kit season. Form some reason I had son put the birds into the run two hours early tonight, otherwise they would have been roaming in 18 different directions over acres ad acres, and i'd be missing a bird or two.

Camera is up.

Electric net is ordered.

My girl will really miss endless acres.

Sigh.

I though I heard a vixen the other night.

I happened to glance out the window at 7pm tonight and saw a HUGE male fox running along the edge of the meadow and running the length of my run. it caught sight of me as I grabbed my gun and took off into the tall grass.

It's kit season. Form some reason I had son put the birds into the run two hours early tonight, otherwise they would have been roaming in 18 different directions over acres ad acres, and i'd be missing a bird or two.

Camera is up.

Electric net is ordered.

My girl will really miss endless acres.

Sigh.
Exact same situation just happened to me tonight. Heard some unusual noise from the run and looked out the window and saw a fox running along the run. Ran out and it dashed away. As a first time chicken/duck owner, what's my choices here? Just keep them locked up in the run? I was just about to start letting them out on the weekend at least. How persistent are foxes in this situation? Could I catch and release it?

Welcome! Don't catch the critter in a live trap unless you can shoot it. Relocating foxes, raccoons, and possums, is illegal in most states, for good reason. Any animal that you release will be trap wise and much harder to trap again, and still wants to have chicken dinners. You could keep your birds in a very safe run and coop, at least for several weeks, and hope that the fox heads elsewhere. I think he's likely living nearby, and plans to come back frequently. Mary

Back
Top Bottom