Fox sighting

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
We live pretty close to some woods. They're still pretty far away, but today someone at my house saw a fox out in the field. Apparently it was so far away she couldn't see it to well and our neighbors have dogs so maybe it was a dog, but she said it was a fox and it got me worried. We haven't seen a fox by our house in 10 years, and this one was around 1 in the afternoon. Our chickens are in an exposed run, but the run is inside our yard, and we have dogs so I dont know if this is an issue. What should o do if it is

We live pretty close to some woods. They're still pretty far away, but today someone at my house saw a fox out in the field. Apparently it was so far away she couldn't see it to well and our neighbors have dogs so maybe it was a dog, but she said it was a fox and it got me worried. We haven't seen a fox by our house in 10 years, and this one was around 1 in the afternoon. Our chickens are in an exposed run, but the run is inside our yard, and we have dogs so I dont know if this is an issue. What should o do if it is
Enclose your run? Electrify your fence?
I agree, get it enclosed if you can. I might invest in a couple of roos as well if your allowed to have them.

The problem with that is my family thinks I overthink things like this. They're not concerned at all so I dont think we are going to invest in any of this. I can let them know if you think it is a big problem and this fox isn't passing through. Also would more affordable things like a scarecrow or bright paper or even animal pee keep it away?

The problem with that is my family thinks I overthink things like this. They're not concerned at all so I dont think we are going to invest in any of this. I can let them know if you think it is a big problem and this fox isn't passing through. Also would more affordable things like a scarecrow or bright paper or even animal pee keep it away?
Foxes are smart crafty animals. They will learn your dogs patterns, when their around and when their not. Their typically out during the late evening, early dawn hours, after the sun goes down and before it comes up. But it isn't uncommon to see them in a field during the day. They can become a problem once they know there's chickens there.

Is there any way you can tell its going to be a problem without it being to late? I asked my family and they dont think its going to be a problem, and that fox are always there so now I dont know what to do

Is there any way you can tell its going to be a problem without it being to late? I asked my family and they dont think its going to be a problem, and that fox are always there so now I dont know what to do
That depends. Is it coming right up to your run/coop or just passing bye heading for another hunting ground? Does it seem to hang around the area more, like it's checking things out? If it seems to be checking out the area, chances are, it at least already has your chickens scent from the wind carrying it. If it is just up and approaching your run/fence, then it likely wants some chicken.

I was told it was heading the other direction toward the woods, and that it was barely noticable. I checked and our chicken coop is 700 feet away from the closest part of the woods, and 1200 feet from the biggest part of the woods where the fox was seen I dont know if that's important information

I was told it was heading the other direction toward the woods, and that it was barely noticable. I checked and our chicken coop is 700 feet away from the closest part of the woods, and 1200 feet from the biggest part of the woods where the fox was seen I dont know if that's important information
You should be good if it keeps it's distance then. Though I would still predator proof. Even if it means making a small enclosed area to put them in for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom