Fox spotted quarter mile away......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by believer01, Dec 20, 2010.

1. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Have read lots of other threads about protecting the coop/pen area's, but what I'm wondering is how likely is it that a fox .25 mile from the coop will find it? Any idea? Thanks

2. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    He will...especially as it gets colder and he gets hungrier! He will even get more daring. I had to share this: was out this morning feeding my chickens, they were free ranging around and a grey fox came out of the woods sprinting towards one of my girls. He then saw me, dead stopped in the middle of a charge and ran off. The nerve! He’s lucky I didn’t have a gun with me!!!

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have a game camera positioned about 200 yds from my chicken coop--see both red and gray foxes on it about two or three times a week. Thus far <knock on wood> they have left my free ranging chickens alone but not counting on it. The coop and chicken yard are fairly well fox-proof but they take one or two if they'll stray too far from the yard. Funny though, the grays have pretty much left the big birds alone--it is the larger reds that will make the kills.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes he will, they have very good sense of smell and can hear that chicken from a very long way's away. Set your traps now and nip this in the bud, if not you may learn a very harsh lesson, never trust a predator.

AL

5. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I lost 8 chickens in 1 day this past spring to a fox attack, no more free ranging around here. It is only a matter of time before the predators know what you have. Everyone loves the taste of chicken! Never saw the fox before the attack and it is a permanant resident now, especially in the spring when the need to feed the pups!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

A fox can smell a chicken"poot" at a mile! [​IMG]

7. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Dang y'all, lie to me and make it all better, ok?

Sorry - rant over. Been a long day. Have a mare that seems to have a bacterial infection which isn't responding to treatment. Vet has given her a boat load of stuff. She seemed to have some sort of mini -seizure while he was trying to get a med in her mouth.....she threw her head back and it was as if her body stiffened and 'went up' more than that she reared! Then she fell over and thrashed about on her side. Finally regained her feet and stood with her rump propped against the wall. I am so tired.

Please pray for my mare, Shadow. She's a beautiful black Arab who thinks she is truly royalty and we are all her loyal subjects. Hubby's outta town but heading back in the morning. Thanks so much and keep the advice on fox coming, would ya?!?

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:university studies claim somewhere around 1000 times more sensitive then our nose's you are probably not far off in you estimation thats one of the ways I trap them is using chicken litter in the winter time .

9. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:same thing happened to me this past spring. We shot the fox on one of his return visits. No problems since then!

10. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    foxes went around our fevce a long time ago soon chickens weregone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by