Fox this a.m. Do I need a rooster?

danamillette

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
My husband saw a fox this morning snooping around the run. He chased it off, but I'm sure it'll be back. My coop is covered and the fencing buried about 6 inches. Do foxes dig? My first instinct is to shoot it, but I am sure that is illegal. I do not have any roosters for my girls. I wonder if I need one. Would it scare a fox off? Any opinions?

Sure they'll dig but it sounds like your coop construction means it will be digging for a long time before it gets inside. In that case I would continue to keep an eye on the coop and regularly inspect around the perimeter to make sure it is still sound.

Fox are typically night-time hunters so your birds should be safely locked away during that time.

Are you just assuming that shooting it would be illegal?

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/hunt/seasdate.htm#Fox

Well, a rooster cant fight a fox and win, unless he's one heck of a robo-roo. What a rooster will do is watch for trouble better than the hens and he will be a first line of defense, pretty much throwing himself in harm's way for his girls. I have heard so many wonderful stories of roosters saving the flock, but sadly, losing their lives in the process. My roosters are always on alert while the girls forage and are sometimes just oblivious.

Sounds like your run is pretty secure. I'm a foot down with hardware cloth, and quite frankly the chickens seem to dig deeper than our neighborhood foxes. Bear in mind, this was over the summer - we'll see now that the weather is turning cooler. I went ahead and put "dog fence" over the top since I've witnessed the fox jumping 4.5 feet to the roof of the coop.

Shooting may not be the answer, but I've not seen ours around since I slammed a BB in his hind quarters at a very low but "you're not welcome" velocity. I'd rather have a trained fox than a dead one any day
big_smile.png

call your local game warden, talk to him about this. if they are endangering your livestock, sometimes they will let you take one, even if it is out of season. or get a painball gun, and shoot that guy with some frozen paintballs, those suckers HURT

the bottom of the run is a heavier gage fencing buried about 6 inches and then some chicken octogan stuff over that. Then in the top, it is just chicken wire supported by boards. Kind of a makeshift deal, but wanted to use recycled items. I will try and get a pic tonite if it isnt too dark.

You could always add a flange of wire fencing on top of the ground, attached to the bottom of your run walls. That would give you added protection against digging and is very easy to do.

We've both seen foxes out during the day here, but not since we got our shepherd mix. Maddie hates foxes!

Back
Top Bottom