Fox training success

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by koonaone, Aug 26, 2010.

1. koonaone

koonaone Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Hi Folks

This was a one time event, probably not to be emulated.

Last night early, I gazed out my office window, contemplating broccoli, zuchini, basil.

Right under my nose the most beautiful red fox pops up and proceeds to the chicken coop door.

At 15 feet I had a perfect shot to put a .22 bullet through his ear! ! !

Added training emphasis was provided by the ricochet through a piece of plywood,

and off the propane tank. The uproar from the hens and old chanteclair must have made

an impression as well. That beggar is probably still making miles out of here. TeeHee.

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    [​IMG] I would say so!

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Boy, if you had ruptured that propane tank you could have launched him a long ways!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yeah, if that tank ruptured she might have had the first chickens on the moon.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow... my thoughts exactly! [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You've only educated the fox. It will return because it knows your birds as a source of food. It will just be more cautious.

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Can't believe that tank didn't rupture. [​IMG] You are one lucky fellow. And a compassionate one to not shot the fox. [​IMG]

8. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:Too much TV? [​IMG] A 25# Propane or Butane cylinder directly hit could possibly puncture if hit JUST RIGHT (more than likely not). Large tank direct hit pretty much never happen. A ricochet through a piece of plywood?.. Only it your dreams would it rupture even 25# cylinder much less a larger one. Lead bullets, which .22 RF is, don’t create sparks and cannot ignite fuel. Movies are the ruination of intellect. Just because it happens in the movies dosen’t make it real.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Too much TV? [​IMG] A 25# Propane or Butane cylinder directly hit could possibly puncture if hit JUST RIGHT (more than likely not). Large tank direct hit pretty much never happen. A ricochet through a piece of plywood?.. Only it your dreams would it rupture even 25# cylinder much less a larger one. Lead bullets, which .22 RM is, don’t create sparks and cannot ignite fuel. Movies are the ruination of intellect. Just because it happens in the movies dosen’t make it real.

I'M not willing to take the chance! [​IMG] ... and how would a person know if they don't try it? [​IMG]

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    mmaddie's mom :

Quote:Too much TV? [​IMG] A 25# Propane or Butane cylinder directly hit could possibly puncture if hit JUST RIGHT (more than likely not). Large tank direct hit pretty much never happen. A ricochet through a piece of plywood?.. Only it your dreams would it rupture even 25# cylinder much less a larger one. Lead bullets, which .22 RM is, don’t create sparks and cannot ignite fuel. Movies are the ruination of intellect. Just because it happens in the movies dosen’t make it real.

I'M not willing to take the chance! [​IMG] ... and how would a person know if they don't try it? [​IMG]

They tried it on mythbusters. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by