Fox troubles - clipped wings??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CranberryCreekFarm, Aug 3, 2011.

1. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    Okay, so we have never had a problem with our birds until reccently. We have 2 foxes that hang around our property now. First, so you have an idea of our set up, we have a large coop that the birds are closed in at nighttime. The coop and other barns are inside a 6 ft. welded wire fence. the fence is buried in the ground 4-6" and has barbed wire on the top and bottom. The fenced in area is about 1/2 acre. But some of my chickens will fly out and free range around the gardens and lawn.

We have noticed 2 foxes running around the fence stalking our chickens and ducks so we have been dilligent about making sure they are in before dusk, and we never lost a bird. Then last weekend we noticed our rooster was screaming and running around the lawn up to the neighbors house, and since he never leaves the fence, we knew something was up. Sure enough, 2 hens missing and feathers all over the lawn. And this was about 9 am!

Then yesterday I went out to feed them about 2:30 in the afternoon and all my birds were there. Went out at 6 to get them inside and again 2 were missing feathers all through my garden! We see these foxes at all hours of the day and they come withing 20 feet of us and do their little screeches but we have yet been able to shoot them.

So my question.... Should I clip their wings to deter them from flying over the fence? Or will they still fly over and then be at even more of a disadvantage not being able to fly away from the foxes? I need help!! We are going to try and trap them or shoot them, but in the meantime since they come at all hours of the day, what should we do???

2. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    I would clip the wings so they had to stay in the fenced in area. It sounds like they'd be much safer there! We also have problems with fox and have yet to be able to catch it. They're VERY smart and will learn your daily routine so they know when the best time to hunt is! Creepy creepy little things! They will stay around until you either deter them or they kill every one of your poor birds...[​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine are in a 6' fence and essentially never leave, but if they do, clipped wings wouldn't stop them as they do it by flapping and "walking" up the fence. I've even seen a few get back into the yard this way.

4. CranberryCreekFarm

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:Thank you guys!

They are creepy! I hate hearing their little screeches! We couldn't even leave the driveway the other day becasue it planted itself at the end and wouldn't move even for the vehicle! Of course I was screaming at hubby to run the little bas*ard over! But he wouldn't since its his precious truck! lol

5. CranberryCreekFarm

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    Another question.... clip 1 wing or both? I've heard of people doing it both ways.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you sure that the fox are not scaling the fence, entering the enclosure, and flushing birds over the fence? If this is the case, clipping wings wold definately put your birds a a disadvantage.

7. CranberryCreekFarm

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    I am positive they are snatching them when the hens go out into the garden which is right on the woodline. I watched one of the foxes drag the hen out of the garden, over past the neighbors house and into the woods with the rooster chasing it and attacking it the whole way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by