1. stav1981

stav1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    hi everyone,
    I live in the south of UK, so foxes are the number one predator to chickens. I have practically finished my coop, I am allowing the chickens to have free roam of half of the garden. I have come to the conclusion a 4 foot fence should be enough to keep my west sussex heavy breeds within the run and they will have their wings clipped if they do eventually start to choose to fly outside. This shouldnt be a problem because they will be spoilt rotten if they keep within their boundaries. however I am now worried about the foxes being able to access the run during the day. I dont really think an electric fence would be suitable for my requirements but I was wondering if anyone has tips on stopping the foxes climbing the fence?

Can they climb the fence anyway?

Should it be higher? will a 5 foot fence make a difference?

Do I really have to have a roof over the fence to assure they wont get in ?

Really would love some tips please, they will not be able to dig under as I have laid patio slabs all around the edges of the fence so thats not a problem.

Cheers in advance

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I saw a video of a fox in GB getting into a fence. The fence was 10 feet high with electric at the top.
    After many attempts it was able to jump and climb over everything. The video was at night though. They may not be so bold during the day.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I'm afraid foxes are wily and persistent predators. A covering of heavy-duty poultry netting or something similar would be better.

4. stav1981

May 23, 2013
    Oh dear, this is not promising.

I am afraid the area is massive and will be very difficult to cover netting over the top :(

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just make sure they are secure at night.

6. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    In that case, a strand of hot wire about 6-10" off the ground and a second around the top would be an inexpensive and not difficult protection.

7. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Ever see how a fence is built around a prison or compound? 45 degree angle out from the top with some netting should keep them from going up and over - I would be more concerned with them getting in from under by digging.

8. stav1981

May 23, 2013
    They will not be able to dig underneath as patio slabs are all around the base of the fence, What may I ask is a stand??? Thats a good idea about the 45 degree angle thing :)

9. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Do you mean a strand? That is short for a single strand of hot wire - one each nose high and at the top of the fence

10. stav1981

May 23, 2013
    Yes a strand, sorry I am still a little confused how will I get the wire hot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by