Fox!!

SHeld

Chirping
Feb 11, 2020
A grey fox just crossed the fence in daylight and ended the life of one of my five chickens 😩😩. They skulked and I went out and he was still right there in the area. He apparently jumped the fence. I got the other 4 insude their safe area and put the dead one inside my shed. About 1/2 hour later they were stalking again and I saw him out there near the fence. Then he ran away. Meanwhile I have accrued a trap and put a piece of the dead one inside as bait. What else should I do? I’m planning to keep the other four sisters inside as they are plenty shook up. Anything else?

Predators are drawn to a coop due to the rodents and will not hesitate to kill a chicken if they can get hold of one. Deal with the rodents, bulk feed in steel barrels, feed using a proper treadle feeder. Clean up any cover or concealment that the rodents can use to travel to the coop, get them out into the open and the natural predators will help kill them off.

Predators are drawn to a coop due to the rodents and will not hesitate to kill a chicken if they can get hold of one. Deal with the rodents, bulk feed in steel barrels, feed using a proper treadle feeder. Clean up any cover or concealment that the rodents can use to travel to the coop, get them out into the open and the natural predators will help kill them off.
Interesting! So maybe they are after mice. I’ll definitely work on getting rid of mice easier than rid of fox. What is a treadle feeder?

So sorry for your losses! If you feel comfortable with shooting, then I would say shoot! After all, they are threatening the lives of your animals. If not, then keep a close eye on them, keep checking those traps, and if he gets more, (hopefully not) then call animal control.

Interesting! So maybe they are after mice. I’ll definitely work on getting rid of mice easier than rid of fox. What is a treadle feeder?
Do a forum search on BYC, here in Predators and Pests and in Feeding and Watering. Tons of threads on treadle feeders. Use Google to and search for reviews on chicken feeders or treadle feeders but watch out for those with affiliate links, making 8% from a sale will make some people say anything.

So sorry for your losses! If you feel comfortable with shooting, then I would say shoot! After all, they are threatening the lives of your animals. If not, then keep a close eye on them, keep checking those traps, and if he gets more, (hopefully not) then call animal control.
Problem is I’m in the city limits, no shoot area. And not supposed to have chickens either. So I’m pretty much stuck. The fox has outsmarted the trap a few times 😩🥴

Problem is I’m in the city limits, no shoot area. And not supposed to have chickens either. So

Put these out at night, and use this to protect your property. You can also up up heavy duty netting over the top of your coop, for anything that decides it wants to jump to fence. I use just he lights of amy coop and haven't seen a predator on security since! The one I listed is an 8 pack, but there is also a 4 pack on Amazon, jus type in predator replant lights. I like the Univerayo brand personally. Hope this helps! Avery

Put these out at night, and use this to protect your property. You can also up up heavy duty netting over the top of your coop, for anything that decides it wants to jump to fence. I use just he lights of amy coop and haven't seen a predator on security since! The one I listed is an 8 pack, but there is also a 4 pack on Amazon, jus type in predator replant lights. I like the Univerayo brand personally. Hope this helps! Avery
I like that idea. May be too costly. But sounds better than covering the whole thing with netting. That would be over trees etc. The fox even comes during the day. I’ve seen him three different days😫. But maybe that’s just after he tasted my chicken. I only have four and my enclosed house is plenty big. He has not been back that I know of since Saturday. I keep them locked during the night and most of the mornings now.

Back
Top Bottom