Fox:(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by IRL, Jun 12, 2011.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi
    Today, the chickens and duck were free ranging and were attacked by a fox. Luckily, we got their in time and it the only losses were the feathers of one chicken. Our neighbors, who also have chickens had theirs killed by a fox recently. We live in the woods, but never have had problems with predators when the chickens are out. They normally free range all day in the summer and from 3-dark during the rest of the year.
    So... How can I get rid of the fox? The run isn't big enough for the chickens to be in all the time, but it is very secure.
    Is my only option to have the free ranging when we are outside, or when the dogs are outside?
    I don't have a gun so I can't shoot it. How can I get rid of it or stop it from coming near the chickens?
    Some things I've heard:
    Peeing around our property
    Playing music around their area
    Trapping
    What should I do?

2. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    I'm sorry you're having a problem. I just found one of my productions girls with her backside pretty mangled. She's alive...we'll see. It's really difficult to outsmart these predators. We seem to have aproblem with coyotes. Not sure if that or a fox did this to my girl.
    Maybe someone will chime in to give you some good advice. We dispatch whatever predator we find in our area. Good luck!

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe borrow a shotgun to have when your out with them as a fox will come thru and almost take a bird out of your hand! Start live trapping (no killer traps or leg hold due to pets in the area). You are also going to have to close them in because the fox will be back with it's mate to grab another easy meal. Maybe expand the run or set up electric fence. You have been found by the predators!

4. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    You can buy a 22 pistol for farely cheap and that will do the job on a fox. My advice is to set up steel foottraps in the woods away from your house and bait them with raw chicken livers and gizards, you can even use raw eggs. On top of that you should try to put up electric fence around your property, probably 2or3 strands of it. [​IMG]

5. Chickenlover20

Chickenlover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    today i had to go get my rooster and hens from my neigh bor's yard, its like 30 feet away from my house, i had to herd the chickens back, they refuse go back to home. i was like *grrrr come on stupid chickens* then that moment one of hen ran back then fox chased her, i had to run as fast i can to catch up that fox.
    Lucky almost all of my chickens are safe.
    I think some of them hiding under the rocks or something.
    Then the fox kept coming back. how could i stop them from coming back?
    My dad grab his gun, and he missed it 2 time. he's too slow.
    I had to stayed outside with them. Also 11 of my chicks killed by those fox while ago.
    I cant stand the predators, Honestly they re annoying me.
    I have a german shepherd that always chase animals out of the yard, she love my chickens. my rooster and german shepherd are friends.
    i think like 6 or 7 of my hens are missing. i dont sure yet..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by