Foxes have moved in!!!!

kiz1959

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
I've just had an awful shock. I was walking along the bank that runs between the main road and my garden wall and I found a huge mound of fresh earth with loads of tunnels round it. I went back with my Hubby just in time to see a fox running off. It looks like foxes have set up home six feet from my garden wall - I have four 10 week old chicks and two exbats in my coop and covered run on the other side of that wall. They normally run happily in their open run in my garden and have been for the past five years. I'm so worried, has my luck run out. Is there anything I can do to drive the foxes away
e184004.gif

Two of my chicks are cockerels which have just started to crow. The foxes are bound to hear them
e326157.gif

Well, fill your husband up with a quantity of liquid and send him out to urinate around the dens.
hide.gif
Doing so plus disturbing the den entrances may encourage them to move elsewhere. For the next little while it might be a good idea to only allow your birds free range when they can be monitored. Good luck in resolving this problem.

If proximity to the road might result in the arrest of your husband for indecent behavior, a Chlorox solution poured into each of the dens might discourage the occupants.
lol.png

Get a smoke bomb and some firecrackers to toss into the den. I know it sounds mean, but no one gets hurt (unless I get a shot off at one) and they realize that they don't want to live that close to humans. My old neighbor did this and he didn't have to deal with foxes for another couple years. I bet money those WEREN'T the same foxes. Good Luck :)

edited for spelling errors AGAIN. ugh.

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum, but I actually had experience with foxes near my neighbors house before. A very easy solution is to go to your local barber and ask for the hair that gets swept up throughout the day. Take handfuls of the hair and spread it around your yard perimeter, around the den holes, and even inside the holes.
The foxes will smell MULTIPLE humans and decide that it's too busy for them. They will leave on their own.
Hope that helps!

Looks like I need to get a collection bucket for the day, fallling that I'll send hubby and son out for a stroll this evening
big_smile.png

Oh I so want to go out and get some firecrackers right now
clap.gif

I think I'll start with a bang then lots of hair donated by my local barber all washed down by hubby and son YES that should shift the devils. Thank you everyone for the ideas

I normally set my dogs on them. Wait for them at night and let em have it! If u don't hav a dog just wee everywhere and chuck some old socks down there.

All the above will work so will an ammonia soaked rag or mothballs down burrows but since you know where they are trap and kill them or they will just move somewhere else nearby and still be a threat to your chickens.

Whats a good way to catch a fox? I think one got two of my pullets yesterday. All we found was two piles of feathers.
sad.png
One girl had gotten out of the horse pen, but the other was taken inside the 6 foot wire fence. I've heard that foxes can climb fences.

Back
Top Bottom