Foxes

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
So I've just been woken up at 4 in the morning to a fox screaming in one of the fields next to the majority of my hen and ducks houses
They r all closed up and I didnt hear anyone going mental
I could tell it was a red fox but now I'm wondering even tho my birds r closeup is there any tricks or tips anyone has used and found works to keep foxes out of the runs
Preferably anything that's DIY as I know about traps and electric fences
I've heard vinegar is supposed to b good at repelling them

Hello!

When i built my runs, I dug a 24" trench around the parameter of the run and when we stapled the hardware cloth to the sides of the run we extended it down into the trench. We enforced with 1x4 trim screwed into the hardware cloth to finish it off. Filled in the trenches with some gravel and dirt packed tight. Haven't had any problems. I have seen where possum and fox have tried to dig but nothing successful. I like to spray mint around my coops to help deter spiders and chicken/duck coop type aromas that attract the varmints. Keeping the coops clean also helps.

This link has some good ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ed-dealing-with-a-fox-or-2-possibly-3.208623/

Last edited:
I've planted mint & lavender, keep coops clean, never have any food outdoors. The foxes run in my yard & close by me daily, 1 even sits like a dog watching me do chores or sits within 20 feet watching me tend to fire pit. My neighbor began feeding foxes last year. Their back yard is fenced. So my open yard is the "hangout" & I can no longer free range my flock. Other than building fox proof pens for my flock's safety, I don't know what to tell you.

Attachments

• 20210217_170431.jpg
    20210217_170431.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200925_185011.jpg
    20200925_185011.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201004_113853.jpg
    20201004_113853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
I have electric wires around my coops and pens. Nothing has gotten past them. I also have several game cameras on my property and see predators quite regularly on my cameras. I love my cameras. I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators but do have nice large covered pens. Lessons learned the hard way. It may not be too pretty but works.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
20210115_095548.jpg

I've planted mint & lavender, keep coops clean, never have any food outdoors. The foxes run in my yard & close by me daily, 1 even sits like a dog watching me do chores or sits within 20 feet watching me tend to fire pit. My neighbor began feeding foxes last year. Their back yard is fenced. So my open yard is the "hangout" & I can no longer free range my flock. Other than building fox proof pens for my flock's safety, I don't know what to tell you.
What a beautiful fox! The foxes around here are very active this year. If I see one in the pasture, I will try to scare it off. But they have to eat, too. If they get a few birds, then they do. The hunting season is Oct. 24-Feb. 20. Not sure what you can do outside those dates.
My chickens are fenced in-over 1/2 acre to roam around. This year I have found 3 areas where they have dug under the fence. Always makes me sing ‘The Circle of Life’ song from the Lion King!! :)

Safe coops and runs and electric fencing are the best way to keep your birds safe.
And that 'circle of life' won't be all that comforting the day a fox gets most or all of your flock! We lost ten nice hens one afternoon to a fox, and the circle of life was complete when a neighbor was able to shoot him.
Free ranging is always a risk, and issues can include loosing an occasional bird to a hawk, to multiple birds in one day to a carnivore, including foxes, coyotes, and pet dogs.
Mary

BTW, is it legal to feed foxes in Delaware? Might be good to find out!
Our wild life has to find their own food, we aren't feeding them. We need those predators to keep some sort of balance out there, but feeding them doesn't sound wise to me.
Mary

Safe coops and runs and electric fencing are the best way to keep your birds safe.
And that 'circle of life' won't be all that comforting the day a fox gets most or all of your flock! We lost ten nice hens one afternoon to a fox, and the circle of life was complete when a neighbor was able to shoot him.
Free ranging is always a risk, and issues can include loosing an occasional bird to a hawk, to multiple birds in one day to a carnivore, including foxes, coyotes, and pet dogs.
Mary
I will have to look up the legality of shooting a fox out of fox season. I know there may be different laws when they are killing livestock.

Yes, make sure whatever you do is legal! Here it's fine to eliminate livestock predators, except for the federally protected raptors. In our case, the perpetrator was obviously very ill with mange, seen killing our birds by a nearby person, and so we all knew that the right animal was shot, and he was suffering, poor guy.
There will always be critters wanting the chickens! When there's an active attack situation, keep ing the survivors in is necessary, until the threat is gone.
Mary

What a beautiful fox! The foxes around here are very active this year. If I see one in the pasture, I will try to scare it off. But they have to eat, too. If they get a few birds, then they do. The hunting season is Oct. 24-Feb. 20. Not sure what you can do outside those dates.
My chickens are fenced in-over 1/2 acre to roam around. This year I have found 3 areas where they have dug under the fence. Always makes me sing ‘The Circle of Life’ song from the Lion King!! :)
He walks right by me within 10 feet. There are a few of them. They are beautiful but I wish my neighbors would stop feeding them.

Back
Top Bottom