Foxes!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NCfarmgirl, Aug 31, 2009.

1. NCfarmgirl

NCfarmgirl New Egg

Aug 31, 2009
    Ok well we have several chickens and they all have to be kept in a run now because in one day a fox got about 3 hen including my baby Coco [​IMG] we had em free range for a long time with out a problem them one day they all start dissappearing we knew we had one but we found out we had a family of 5 foxes!!!!!!!!!! on the property so what are ya'll suggestions??? they hate putting them up like this but its for there own good right???

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Yeah, Foxes will take lots more prey when they have cubs. [​IMG]

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    call on 2 friends, Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. They will solve your problem.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I hate to say it but trap em and kill them. They will stay in the area and next year you will have more. if you want to free-range...you are going to have to kill them or find a rehabber but most are not taking foxes that need to be relocated or disposed of.

good luck.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:Don't forget Mr. Remington [​IMG]

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Yes, I would keep them in their coops for a while. The fox will return daily for her free dinner.

I had a moma fox that has lived here for years and years. She has raised several litters of babies here right behind my house...you can almost see her den area from my bedroom window. I dared anyone to mess with this moma fox....then....she started eating my hens! She went years without eating my chickens but one day she got the itch to do it... Got my favorite hen and she just wouldn't stop....SO, I had my little trigger happy neighbor boy hunt her down, kill her, and bring me back her hide. I have it still. He was already itching to shoot her, so I let him do it.

You're best bet is to shoot/trap the fox and her babies. You can call your local wildlife rehab facility and ask them for help. It is possible to find someone to help you trap and relocate them. I am a rehabber and we do this for people who just can't bear to kill the fox and I release them in the National Forest or my DHs hunting club land.

Good Luck with your situation.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    We have foxes all over this area, but only 2, in 11 years, have been a problem.

That's the good news.

The bad is, once they get a taste of the free buffet, they will keep returning, until they are either trapped and removed, far, far, away, (where they will very likely prey on somebody else's poultry) or killed.

Killing the mom and pups, as distasteful as that may be, is probably the best solution. Otherwise, they'll wipe out your whole flock.

We free-range here, and most of the time, it's ok. When it isn't, we have to confine birds, and solve the problem. then we can free-range again.

A good, flock-protecting dog can do wonders, deterring future problems.

8. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

A guard dog should keep foxes away' It takes some time to train one but it would be a good investment. A great Pyranese may be the best dog for this. A fox is deathly afraid of a big dog who doesnt want other dogs coming on his or her turf. If you live were their is a lot of foxes you can kill them but there will be more to come take their place. Where I live there is not a lot of foxes but a whole lot of coyotes. And people here who have guard dogs seldom has trouble with coyotes catching their chickens.

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    People around here, if they have enough pasture to do it, sometimes keep a mule or donkey to protect sheep, poultry, or whatever. They'll stomp predators to death.

Somebody told me about a u-tube video of a mule killing a mountain lion.

10. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Quote:I just call my best friend Mr. Remington to come over and he always brings his two girlfriends , Hollow Point and High Velocity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by