1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FOXES!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CashmereSussex, Apr 11, 2007.

1. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i had 11 chooks including my 2 roosters and in 2 days it was reduced to my 2 roosters they diddn't touch the boys all i know it is was small enough to fit through a shallow hole. it bit the heads off the hens and sucked out the blood but it did attack my older rooster who was 10 the old rooster died the other night because he still haddn't fully recovered from the attack

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

CashmereSussex [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear about your loss....How HORRIBLE!!! Can you set a live trap, and maybe catch the little thief?? Are you planning on replaceing the hens? Good luck...

3. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i have replaced one lol but im plaing to use a rabbit whistle (that makes a distressed rabbit noise as if it was trapped in a trap) and i will shoot it or give it to the council.

4. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you catch it. Something took one of my daughters ducks last night.

5. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    electric poly wire 2 strands

6. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ali, this is a very old thread, I'm sure the problem has been resolved by now.

7. raisingfowl

raisingfowl New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    back in june a fox attacked our chickens but luckily we scared him away he only got one but he was fearless of our 90 pound german shepard but foxes can climb trees we watched videos online its crazy

8. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd be worried about the possibility of rabies. He will be back if he has found a food source. Maybe electric fencing?

Regards,
    Leaf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by