Foxes

Nielsen

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
I´ve seen a lot of very nice pictures of muscovies inhere, and that made me wonder..

Are you not afraid of foxes taking your muscovies, or what do you do to prevent it ?

I would love to let my new muscovies free range, but im afraid the fox would come by and take them
hmm.png

Duckfat,

Love that dog! We have a Great Pyrenees, Saint Bernard mix and he's wonderful with our ducks and does a great job protecting our flock! I don't leave him out with them all the time, but when he's there, I never worry.

Does yours sit on the hill, and just watch the land like ours does?
tongue.png

Last edited:
I totally want one of those dogs!! Only well I only have four call ducks and I worry that I will end up like the woman who swallowed a fly! Before you know it, succumbing to my husband's demands for four little call ducks will end up with a menangerie of dogs goats horses and goodness knows what just lol!
Still, it is a very beautiful doggy!

Quote:
That sounds like a dutiful LGD. My dog mostly hangs around the barnyard, and the ducks free range with out fences. Since there are no predator tracks in the snow or loses due to predators, I can only assume she has everything under control. The protection also applies to muscovy ducklings who cannot fly.

Last edited:
Quote:
do fox fly where you are? Most muscovy do fly, the females very well and the drakes also if not overfed.

No ofcause not, but that doesnt mean a fox cant grab a few before they get away.

To give a direct answer to your question. Yes, fox can and will catch muscovies. Drakes as they age become much poorer at flying. Aside from that fox are smart and will use whatever cover is available before launching their attack.

Another alternative is to use electric poultry fencing, such as sold by Premier.

Foxes, coyotes, dogs, reacoons, etc. are hard to deal with when free ranging poultry.

Back
Top Bottom