Foxes....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by conniesue27, Mar 15, 2011.

1. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    We've got a fox den about 100 yards from our hen house, would like to live trap them if possible. Any suggestions on what to bait the trap with? I've read that chicken entrails works good, or live mice. Any ideas out there?

2. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    A dead or live sparrow or any bird. Also try mice, like you said, or even a small varmit like a rabbit if possible. They like anything that is smaller than them and that contains protein(meat). Hope this will help.

God Bless!!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Believe it or not tuna fish brings them right in. If there is a den you have a family. Trap mom and you will have dead kits in the den soon. Something to think about.

4. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    What are you planning on doing with them once you catch them?

In most states it is illegal to relocate them off of the property you caught them on.

5. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    What are you planning on doing with them once you catch them?

In most states it is illegal to relocate them off of the property you caught them on.

Calling animal control, we have somone in our area that will take care of them once there caught.

6. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    fox absolutely love sardines & the smell carries a long ways. and i check with your local laws of relocating them to be sure its ok

7. theFox

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Yep we sure do, I have 60 or so cans of 4 different kinds in my pantry.

8. Carol.in.WV

Carol.in.WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pendleton County, WV
    Did the trap work? People around here say you can't trap a fox. I just lost at least 2 more hens this morning to a fox that I saw yesterday morning and in trying to take a head count of my chickens it looks like about 15 or 20 are now gone.

9. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    Sardines will work as bait. You need to wire the partially opened can far back in the trap. If you just lay open sardines in the trap the fox will slip in and out quickly, probably avoiding the trap trigger. You have a slight chance of trapping like this. I have heard of it working sometimes. I prefer a bullet.

10. theFox

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Oh good grief, dig a shallow hole place an open can of sardines in the hole, set your trap with its trip pan above the can of sardines in the hole, weigh down the trap.

That ole fox will go into the trap and work like the dickens to get to those sardines, it will trip the pan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by