Foxproof and feral cat proof birds ?

avany

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
I am very new to this. I once adopted a silky hen and her baby and they refused to roost in the chicken coop and one night the baby was chased and eaten by a feral cat despite living in a fenced in city yard .

Where I live now is a waterfront property with many ( wild ) birds and a huge population of hungry foxes . Last year they actually denned and raised two kits under my pool .

The foxes live out of restaurant dumpsters and trash cans in the summer and in winter ( when the tourists go away and the restaurants close ) they hunt ducks , wild geese and seagulls every night ( you hear the screams
fl.gif
)

I also have a huge population of crickets skeletonizing my rose tree and fruit tree leaves and also some very beautiful organic landscaping , so I need birds that like to EAT but don't want any bird that really scratches .

I was thinking of peacocks ..because they roost in trees and are large and reputed to be ferocious . I did keep a single tall and well branched tree close to the house for roosting . I'd also love to have chickens ...but would hate to lose them .

Please advise ! TY

Last edited:
Try posting in the predators and pests section, those people have thought about and faced what you are thinking about. With the foxes right on your property it would be difficult.

People I know usually do not regard adult peacocks as being overly vulnerable to foxes. The birds would need some acreage. They will not be immune to raccoons or greathorned owls if they are also abundant.

Back
Top Bottom