Foy's Doorkeeper?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gracejr, Nov 20, 2012.

1. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Their website is so confusing! What parts do you need?

I'm assuming I'd want inside installation - that just means the door itself is on the inside of the coop, right?

Plus a door. Do I need to buy a sensor as well, or does that come with it? I'm not worried about a timer, sunrise/sunset is fine with me. Which parts do I need to order? And what size door would you suggest? I have sexlinks, brahma, orpingtons... and a giant orp roo from english lines.

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/electronic-doorkeeper

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Yes I agree their website for the auto door is confusing.
    I bought the inside VBS and am in the process of installing it.

If you are fine with the sensor for sunrise/sunset then no you don't need the timer.
    I bought the inside installation with the 9 x 13 door, and the sensor.

I did my research before ordering, the unit it's self is sold by a german company and they have had great reviews, plus you only need batteries.

The unit may be very good but I have to say I found it very frustrating getting information from them.
    With my unit I got a very very poor quality photo copy. I phoned three times asking for another copy to be emailed to me and when they finally emailed it three days later, I couldn't open the attachment and requested a pdf or another way. Nothing, I haven't heard back from them and that was two weeks ago. It's not a cheap unit surely you'd think they could enclose a proper and legible copy. You'd think I was asking for a favour.

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I bought it straight from the German company a few years ago. It works great.

With the inside installation, all components are on the inside of the coop, that's why you need the outside sensor with cable. I made my own door.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I have five of the Foy's doorkeepers and love them. If you are going with inside mount and the sensor then the doorkeeper and a door is all you need. I recommend not getting the smallest of the metal doors. I found them too light to close correctly. I glued weights to the bottom and they work flawlessly now. So spend a little more and get the larger door which is heavier and will drop more evenly and not get sideways in the tracks. Also, the directions say you need string or fishing line to attach the door. Those are old instructions and the string is included now. The one thing you will need and isn't included is a metal ring to attach the door to the string. Those little cheap wire rings that come with a set of keys work just fine. Just get one ahead of time so you aren't stuck trying to find one laying around the house while installing the door.

You may find yourself moving the rails around a bit before you find the sweet spot where the door drops and doesn't stick. You want a little extra room so don't attach the rails where they are touching the door edges on both sides. Also you will want to attach the box so that the string hangs down straight and which puts it a little offset to center of the door. I also recommend having a small level on hand so that you can make sure the doorkeeper box is level. Hubby installed three of ours and eyeballed his and he had trouble with the doors dropping straight down. I used a level on mine and didn't have that problem.

I sounds confusing but it really isn't. It is pretty straightforward. I have had three other types of auto closing doors and this one is the best. Just remember to change the batteries every New Year's Day and Fourth of July and you'll be fine. Also if you have the sensor positioned near a porch light or motion sensor light you might find your door opening when you don't want it to open.

Good luck if you decide to purchase a doorkeeper. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer.

Mary

Oops, forgot to answer about the right sized door. I bought one of the large one for my turkeys and it is quite big. You should be able to get by with the next to the largest size door.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Oooh, yeah, didn't think about turkeys... We're planning on getting a few of those in the spring. I guess the biggest door it is then!

So, to be sure, the indoor installation still comes with the light sensor? So I only need to purchase the doorkeeper and the door? Or do I still need to purchase the sensor separate?

6. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I had to purchase the sensor separately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by