fra diavolo sauce

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Jul 10, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Tomatoes are backing up on the window sill but not enough to can yet so I decided to make some "brother devil" sauce, or my redneck version anyways.

Two habeneros and six serranos should be about right for a quart of tomatoes. It really won't be that hot, I promise. : )
    [​IMG]

Cook an onion at low heat in olive oil until it starts to get a little color and add the peppers and a bunch of garlic.
    [​IMG]

Cook for just a few more minutes, the garlic will burn on you. Add the tomatoes. This is just a mix that I peeled and sort of seeded. Got a Brandywine a few Better Boys and Romas.

[​IMG]

While thats coming back up to temperature chop up some nice fresh herbs. Got thyme, oregano and basil growing on the deck. Put another little shot of olive oil on the top just for good measure.

[​IMG]

Now we wait. I've got a bunch of other stuff to get done today so I just slapped the lid on and put the whole thing in a 250 oven.

[​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My husband wants to know when you are having dinner. [​IMG]
    Do you serve that over rice?
    Did you take the mid veins out? I can't believe that isn't hotter than the dickens.

Do you can it?

3. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I mispoke, it's hotter than Hades. The peppers have been quite mild so far this summer but they are definitely picking up octane as they mature. I took probably 3/4ths of the veins and seeds out.

Normally I would have it with linguine but it would be quite good over rice. Sounds especially good to me now that I think about it to poach a few shrimp in it and serve over rice.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    oh yea, shrimp! That sounds like tomorrow night's dinner. [​IMG]

5. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Did not taste as good in practice as it did in my mind. Not bad though.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by