1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fractured Leg/Foot? in Silkie Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencharlie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. chickencharlie

chickencharlie New Egg

Apr 22, 2007
    Hi all. we have an adult silkie hen who appears to have broken her foot or leg. She cannot walk on it. What do you suggest we could do to help her. We are assuming this is a fracture as she is alert, eating and drinking.

2. chickencharlie

chickencharlie New Egg

Apr 22, 2007
    Hello all:

Our little silke hen cannot walk at all and favors her little leg/foot. She holds her wing out to try to support herself and then she falls right smack on her beak. Her leg/foot feels very wobbily and moves around too easily. It appears to be broken to me. I read somewhere where someone put a cloth around the chickens body to keep the leg close to the body to allow this to heal.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. The hen is not sick as she is eating and drinking as normal.

Thanks
    Charlie

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi chickencharlie,
    Yes, I also read that you can take a small piece of gauze and then apply egg white to the wrapped gauze on leg. Dry the egg white with a blow dryer on low heat. It is supposed to dry and stiffen the egg white thereby making a little splint. (don't know if this will help in your case).

I had a silkie with spraddle leg and had to make a bandaid hobble for her to stand and walk with. Unfortunately, she was not up to
    lifes journey. She just had her leg out to the side and tried to use it but it was like she was doing a straddle.

You may want to use the search option here and type broken leg, hobble, splint, can't walk, etc. There are also some very good sites if you google those terms for chickens.

Best wishes!

4. chickencharlie

chickencharlie New Egg

Apr 22, 2007
    Thank you fowlfeatherfriends for responding.

Today the silke actually tried to walk on her leg and took about 6 steps. I kept her in the coop to make sure she gets rest. This may heal on its own but if not I will
    try what you suggested.

Thanks
    ChickenCharlie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by