Fractured Rooster beak...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muircheartaigh, Jan 4, 2014.

1. muircheartaigh

muircheartaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

I have some breeding roosters which I keep together in a spacious pen inside of our hay barn. Today, I found my silver laced wyandotte had fractured his beak. Upon closer inspection the beak appeared to not be fully broken off but was partially cracked (fractured). I immobilized the bird and gently touched the tip of the beak, which caused it to bleed a small amount. I removed him and placed him in one of my confinement pens, which I use to rehabilitate my birds. What do I do from here? I've noticed that he is still able to eat (with or without pain I am unsure). Do I attempt to remove the fractured part of the beak or allow it to keratinize and heal. I'm not fond of the idea of beak trimming, however I would consider it if it meant saving this Rooster as all life is precious to me. Looking for any well-informed advice on this exact issue. I'm still bewildered how this happened. What would cause his beak to become fragile?

Thanks,

Muircheartaigh

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  3. muircheartaigh

Just found this link...lol. Thank you for posting. I'm going to attempt this tomorrow when I pull him from confinement. Out of curiosity, have you tried the method suggested in the article?

4. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    No, luckily I have never had one break a beak. I like to learn of these things so I can respond when or if something does go wrong. I hope your guy does ok.

5. muircheartaigh

As do I. He's one of 16 beautiful Roosters that we have on the farm and I'd hate to see his life end prematurely. Thanks again.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. muircheartaigh

Winnie is on the mend. The fractured part of the beak has broken off. There is no infection, no threat of harm from the other Roosters, and his appetite is strong. Crisis averted. My worries have lifted and for the time being I'm satisfied with him in his confinement pen until he is fully rehabilitated. Thank you for the posted links. I didn't have to resort to any type of medical response but let nature take its course. I am, however, very thankful to those of you who posted those very valuable resources and readings.
    God bless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by