F'rady ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oneacre Homestead, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi my ducks are terrified of me for no reason, or no reason I know. They will eat out of my hand through the fence but if I go in there they run, panicked,quacking like mad, falling over themselves, and cower. So annoying! They are even terrified when I turn on the hose. What do they think I am going to eat them or something?! (oh wait....)
    I have 4 geese too and they are much more sensible.
    Do any of you have ducks that like you?
    Do I just have to be more sensitive? I don usually terrify animals (horses goats chickens)it is not like I flail around. I am calm. My ducks are buff orphingtons.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old are they? My sweetie pie runners, who'd snuggle up against me the first two weeks, six days of their lives suddenly became (apparently) convinced I was an axe murderer when they turned three weeks old.

Thanks to Duckyfromoz and some others here, and a little further research, I have a guess: as they are maturing, their instincts and neurological wiring are making them much less trusting of the world around them. Anything taller than they are (most things including you and me) terrify them at this stage, which lasts a number of weeks. And they'll be skittery for a while.

With patience, bribes, and patience, and more bribes and patience, we got through that stage and now I have a bunch of runners who are relaxed around me, and some even accept pets and hugs. But don't try petting Sechs. She virtually pops. But then she'll run right back if you have peas.

I digress.

I suspect you're seeing a duck developmental stage. Just keep taking it easy, and when you have time (make time), just sit near them. Seriously. Read a book or something. Whittle. Practice harmonica. Just find a way to sit or lie down near them (lower is less scary) and do . . . not much. That may help them finally understand you're not a horrible threat.

3. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi thanks so much. You are right about their age. They are a month old. I will sit and read in the pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by