Fragile Marans

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cribbs74, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Cribbs74

Cribbs74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    I am having a rough go with Marans. Specifically the Black Coppers. I had a batch of 10 about 8 months ago that came down with Mareks. All the classic symtoms, eye color change, paralysis yet the continued to drink and eat as long as I fed and watered them by hand. I saved four and the rest passed over the course of a couple weeks even though they all recovered before passing.

Fast forward to a month ago and I received 2 more black copper chicks and an olive egger and a Silkie. Actually I ordered 22 chicks, but lost all, but the four above due to shipping carelessness.

Everything went well for a month and once again the 2 Black Coppers come down with Marek like symptoms except this time without the eye color change. Legs are wobbly and balance is poor. Eating and drinking is good, yet very lethargic. This has been over the last 4 days.

The Silkie and EE are fine. So my questions:

Are Black Coppers inherently fragile?

Is this Mareks or should I be treating for something else?

Currently they are on medicated feed.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like you probably have Mareks in your environment now. Did you get the last set of chicks vaccinated for Mareks? To become fully immune vaccinated chicks need to be in a Mareks-free environment for 2 weeks after vaccination. I imagine that would be hard to accomplish if it is in your coop--it may be inside your house. As far as Marans being fragile, I would say they are hard to hatch, since a good friend and breeder who only has Marans, told me that to get 3 to hatch out of my 18 eggs, that I was doing average. Mine have all been vigorous chicks, both from the hatchery, and ones that my friend and I have raised.

3. Cribbs74

Cribbs74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Yes, the second batch are vaccinated. The chicks have been in my shop since delivery so they have been in the atmosphere before 2 weeks and the other birds stay outside. With Mareks though it's everywhere.

I imagine that since I am surrounded by large farms that Mareks was here long before I was.

The funny thing is the ones that had mareks before snapped out of it after 3-4 days and pressed on. The ones that survived eyes even went back to orange/yellow. I know they are carriers though. I have about 25 adult birds and none of them contracted Mareks and a good half of them are are Bantams.

I hope these ones survive. But time will tell I suppose as there is not a darn thing I can do about the disease.

Thank you for your reply.

Ron

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. I hope you have good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by