Frame almost completed on California coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by drom, Jul 12, 2008.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Well, I am finishing the roof frame on my coop this weekend and putting on the door. [​IMG]
    Next I will be starting on the nesting and roost area. I didn't think I would be able to figure out how to put up a frame for a gable roof, but it was not hard at all! Someone at Lowe's showed me how to measure the angles for the roof pitch.

I think the finished product will have a green roof and copper weather vane!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    That looks right nice. I wish I knew how to make that kind of roof.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    It's coming along great so far, and will look awesome with a green roof and copper weather vane.

4. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow! Thats going to be a marvelous coop!!

5. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Thanks so much everyone! [​IMG]
    I'm really excited. I've never built a thing in my life. [​IMG]

Dixygirl, the gable roof frame is so easy. To get the angle for the top of your rafters, you just lay out a triangle with your boards on the ground and make sure the dimensions are the same as what you want your roof height and shape to be.
    My coop is 6 feet wide, so at the bottom of the triangle, I laid out a 6 foot board. For the sides of the triangle, I laid the ends of two boards , each one touching the end of the 6' base and had the other ends of those two boards meet together above to form the top of the triangle. Then I laid a 2 foot board up the middle from of the base of the triangle to right over the two boards where they met at the top. If the middle board is laying on top of the two, you can mark the angle right on the ends of the two boards with a pencil. Then I just marked that identical angle on all my boards and cut them with a hand saw and that is how I got the angle for the top of the rafters where they meet the center beam.

Not sure if that makes sense the way I explained it. [​IMG]
    But in Lowe's the guy grabbed the boards and laid it out on the floor so I could see what he was talking about.

6. adeledamate

adeledamate Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Very, very nice. Can't wait to see the finished coop, of course with your chickens in it. [​IMG]

7. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Thank you! I will be sure and post some pics after it is completed and they are testing it out! [​IMG]

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That's going to be a very nice coop! OOOOOhhhhh, I love the idea of the weather vane, too~~Can't wait to see pictures of it when you are done..... [​IMG]

9. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautifully done... obviously has a lot of thought in the planning. Really a nice looking coop.

Carla

10. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Howdy fellow CA!! Where abouts are you?

Your coop looks great! Your girls are going to be very happy and spoiled there. I can't wait to see the finished product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by