Franken-bator not retaining humidity.

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I recently wrote an article about how I converted a cheap incubator with an Incukit Mini.
Franken-bator -- Converting a cheap yellow topped model with the Incukit Mini

I am now running into a problem I did not expect, I am having a dickens of a time keeping the humidity high enough. It used to be that I could throw in two normal size sponges (about the size of an index card) that were just wet enough not to drip and the humidity would be in the 70's for 2-3 days. Now. I fill all the wells in the bottom and it is barely breaking 54% and it evaporates VERY quickly. I practically have to fill the wells twice a day. What is so different that is making the incubator evaporate water so quickly? I was counting on these to be my lock down incubators.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to keep the humidity up?

Fortunately, I have almost 2 weeks before I need to hatch again and I can keep the one Franken-bator that is starting eggs in the 45-50% range if I watch it carefully.

I had a thought. I wonder if a lot of humidity is leaking out around the hole I cut for the controls
img_7652-jpg.1342440

@Pyxis did you put any sealant around the edges when you made your Emubator?

I had a thought. I wonder if a lot of humidity is leaking out around the hole I cut for the controls
img_7652-jpg.1342440

@Pyxis did you put any sealant around the edges when you made your Emubator?

I didn't, because I wanted the air flow for the fan and also because emu eggs have very high oxygen requirements. In fact, I put in additional vents too. I haven't tried to really boost the humidity in it but I bet I could easily get it to lockdown amounts if I added enough water surface area.

Before you put in the incukit, was this still air or forced air? The extra ventilation around the control panel is also no doubt contributing to the difference between how it was before and how it is now.

I didn't, because I wanted the air flow for the fan and also because emu eggs have very high oxygen requirements. In fact, I put in additional vents too. I haven't tried to really boost the humidity in it but I bet I could easily get it to lockdown amounts if I added enough water surface area.

Before you put in the incukit, was this still air or forced air? The extra ventilation around the control panel is also no doubt contributing to the difference between how it was before and how it is now.
Yes, this was a forced air before I converted it, in fact, the fan was bigger than the incukit fan.

What concerns me is that I filled ALL the wells in the center and the humidity is still only starting levels.

Glad the marker worked for you. :D

Ok I'm going to ask the "Duh" question. My lid sealed better one way, even though its square. Check around the lid for any drafts coming out. I had a stack of nickels I would put one or two under a corner to keep it sealed right. I guess my lid was slightly warped.

I recently wrote an article about how I converted a cheap incubator with an Incukit Mini.
Franken-bator -- Converting a cheap yellow topped model with the Incukit Mini

I am now running into a problem I did not expect, I am having a dickens of a time keeping the humidity high enough. It used to be that I could throw in two normal size sponges (about the size of an index card) that were just wet enough not to drip and the humidity would be in the 70's for 2-3 days. Now. I fill all the wells in the bottom and it is barely breaking 54% and it evaporates VERY quickly. I practically have to fill the wells twice a day. What is so different that is making the incubator evaporate water so quickly? I was counting on these to be my lock down incubators.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to keep the humidity up?

Fortunately, I have almost 2 weeks before I need to hatch again and I can keep the one Franken-bator that is starting eggs in the 45-50% range if I watch it carefully.
Can you put sponges in the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom