Frantic evening jump-a-thon

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3CAchicks, Oct 31, 2009.

1. 3CAchicks

3CAchicks New Egg

Oct 31, 2009
    Hi, I am new to the site, hope this question is not too off the wall.

We have three 20 week old hens: a wyandotte, a rhode-island red, and a speckled sussex. We've had them for about 12 weeks now. We keep them in a hutch/run and let them out most afternoons during the week and all day on the weekends.

Every evening around 6pm, they start pacing by the sliding glass door near the kitchen, jumping at it like they're trying to get in. If I ignore them, they go around the side, hop up on the deck box and fly at the window by the kitchen sink. As soon as I relent and go outside (I have to push them out of the way with my foot to even get outside) they all jump on me.

At first, it was just the red who would jump, now they all do, and sometimes fight for a spot on top of my head. The red will also peck at my neck and shoulders.

Is this their way of being friendly? Are they trying to tell me something?

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    It's getting dark and they want to go where it is light.

3. 3CAchicks

3CAchicks New Egg

Oct 31, 2009
    That sounds reasonable.

What about the jumping on me thing? The Wyandotte will sit quietly on my arm, which is fine, but the other two pecking my neck and scratching my head I can do without.

Are they trying to put me in my place?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by