Frazzle Has Lost Her Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grandpa Mick, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Grandpa Mick

Grandpa Mick New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    I've been raising chickens for years so I know a little bit about them, but this one's got me totally puzzled. A year and a half ago we got some chicks in an assortment to add to our flock and there was a frazzle in the bunch. Starting last spring she lost all her feathers except a few and hasn't regained them. At first I thought excessive molt but my other chickens of various ages have molted and feathered back out. This frazzle hen acts totally normal, that is she lays, eats, roosts, etc like the others. She fits right in with my flock of about 30 or so that free range most of the day and is not being picked on or bullied. She's just almost featherless to the point that she looks like a live, cleaned for cooking whole chicken as she scratches around with the others. It'd be funny if I didn't feel so sorry for her. Cold weather is coming and there's no way she'll make it without feathers. Anyone got any ideas as to what this might be?

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I did a search (4th blue button above) for frazzles in the Breeds forum and came up with quite a few threads. Evidently it is genetic and the feathers are not going to grow back. I suppose you could try to find a small dog coat that will fit.

4. Grandpa Mick

Grandpa Mick New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. She does sort of look like the picture! I'm going to pass this info on to my wife since she's in charge of chicken fashion. Thanks again.

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by